Obama Administration Nominates Apple's VP of Worldwide Government Affairs for State Department Job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's Vice President of Worldwide Government Affairs, Catherine Novelli, has been nominated to serve as Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment, according to an announcement from The White House (via AllThingsD).

[​IMG]
    Novelli, who works in Washington D.C., currently heads up a team at Apple that handles the company's federal, international, and state government relations. She has been with the company since 2007, and it remains unclear if she will leave her position at Apple to take up the new post.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Obama Administration Nominates Apple's VP of Worldwide Government Affairs for State Department Job

2. chromite macrumors regular

3. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

4. PracticalMac, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

First thing she'll do is replace agency BB's with iPhone 5S, slate, er, space gray.

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

inb4 PRSI

I'm really getting tired of this whole "revolving door" policy in Washington. That said I don't know much about this candidate so I'll withhold judgement in this case.

6. FelixAng macrumors regular

Why would she leave? The pay can't be better. And DC bureaucracy is so not what she's probably used to being inside of. Although, public servants should ideally have some altruistic nature; too bad they rarely have any.

That's almost as bad as leaving Apple for Microsoft.

7. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

they're looking for backdoors on apple products and how to get away with it

/s

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's one of the reasons she'd have to consider.. but I surmise this:

Why would she leave, when she would only have a little over 2 years in the position? Keep in mind that when the new POTUS is elected comes a new cabinet, and new nominations for positions in that cabinet. Her tenure there would be only as long as the inauguration of the next POTUS.

BL.

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Wasn't Dick Cheney also Vice President of the USA at a time when he was also a business executive at some multi-national corporation? Haliburton and others?

Does anyone recall if then-Vice-President Cheney was actually FORCED to resign and renounce all ties to Haliburton as a requirement for assuming the office of the Vice President?

10. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

11. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

12. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I think I speak for everyone when I ask, "Apple has a team that handles federal, international, and state government relations?"

;)

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He had to resign before they forced him to because of that conflict of interest. Additionally, he had to move back to Wyoming from Texas (where Halliburton was located), to get around the provisions of the 12th Amendment.

BL.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well it's not like the government can just pick out someone whose never had any job, ever.

The problem you're talking about is specifically when someone from an industry goes into an agency that regulates that same industry.

I'm not entirely sure what this position entails, but I can't imagine the State Department is over Apple in many direct ways. This is a far cry from making a TV network president the FCC chairman or something like that.

15. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Fixed. :cool:

16. chipchen macrumors 6502

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Quite true. I'd rather have a government filled with technocrats (industrialists), rather than a government run by career bureaucrats. Neither scenario is perfect, but I do prefer the former.

Technocrats/industrialists have useful skills and knowledge in industry, commerce, technology, economics, etc.

Bureaucrats only have trained skills in cheating, lying, stealing, coercion, bribery, theft, manipulation, demagoguery, etc.

18. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

19. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

20. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Sorry, but I see it in the Global Cooperation I am employed with every day. :(

21. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

waiting to see how this thread turns out.....

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Cheney resigned prior to Bush publicly naming him as his running mate. His stock portfolio, including any holdings in Haliburton, were put into a blind trust at the time. Once the trust was created he had no information as to what securities were held in the trust.

23. ladeer macrumors 6502

How about the fact that her new boss (sec of state)'s boss could be the president of United States? To be one level removed from reporting to the president is probably the highest achievement for a career in the government/legal fields. She will be on the same pay grade as director of CIA, FBI, etc. it's also an honor to work for the president of United States and serve our country's foreign interests. After all she started her career in the public sector.

24. rmatthewware macrumors 6502

Don't do it. The problem with administration jobs is that you risk losing your position every election.

25. portishead macrumors 65816

That's the best photo you guys could find of her??