Oberondesign

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kallyq, May 22, 2010.

1. kallyq macrumors regular

I just wanted to give a head's up that Oberon's cases are up at oberondesign.com. I have their kindle case and love it. They have a nice video on their site of how the case works. :)

2. MacMur macrumors regular

I got mine today. It's very nice quite sturdy and handsomely crafted. Looks like it will last 100 years, no problem. Works as advertised.

Sorry no photos but Oberondesign.com has good ones.

Highly recommend. It is a little heavy but very functional, you could probably drop a concrete block on it and not scratch the iPad. :)

3. jkrutch macrumors regular

The "strings" securing the iPad don't seem to be very secure at all. IMO the apple case is still the best current offering. A leather version of that design is what I'm waiting for....

4. batman75 macrumors 6502

I agree. Fastening an ipad to a case with string or elastic seems pretty sub par. I ordered the Yoobao updated case for my mum's iPad. If it turns out good, I may upgrade my Apple case to that. Its the closest I have seen to a leather version of the Apple case, especially with the new flap.

5. wodeh macrumors regular

Sorry for digging up a thread, this is a belated but valid response!

The leather loops used for securing the iPad into Oberon's cases are very secure, and the elastic only holds it in from one corner. I actually prefer this method to a slip-in leather case, as it's much easier to insert/remove the iPad.

Your iPad's security aside, these cases are absolutely stunning. I've got the red Chinese dragon variant, and it's the single best case I've ever had for the iPad. For a company whose experience in device cases seems to have begun with the kindle, Oberon have done a stunning job and paid attention to the details.

The leather is thick enough that you can fold it back over itself to get a good angle for typing, and a hidden cord loop will secure the flap in an upright position- letting the case double as a pretty stable stand.

Simply put, Oberon have toppled Vaja from my favorite case spot and will, I imagine, be tough to beat!

6. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've got one of these for my Kindle, and I can hold the Oberon by the edge farthest away from the kindle and shake it hard and it doesnt' budge. It's a very effective way to attach the ipad to the cover.

7. MacMur macrumors regular

I second all the good stuff. You would be hard pressed to beat this cover.

I have a Vaja case and my Oberon is certainly more durable and every bit as nice to look at, albeit a completely different look.

Love them both for different reasons.

8. wodeh macrumors regular

9. mixvio macrumors 6502

This won me over, I ordered the dragon design in black.

Shipping to Australia was hella expensive but that's a gorgeous case.

10. mixvio macrumors 6502

Mine arrived today, it's absolutely stunning. I've finally found a case I really like.

11. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am looking at this case but just wondering...if I put a tpu case on first, will this case still fit? I want a tpu case, and then a nice leather portfolio with the stand mechanisms that I can easily take the tpu protected ipad out of.

12. AM94 macrumors member

AM94

Any chance of some photos?

As per this post, I'm interested in hearing about owners views and would love to see some better photos.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

No. I believe Oberon addressed this on another forum. But having used the Kindle version, i can tell you the leather corners don't have any stretch to them. It's designed to hold a naked iPad; any stretch in that fit would allow the device to fall out for the majority of users. A thin skin will fit, a TPU case almost certainly won't.