Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why not just charge by weight, if you weight 50 lbs you pay less, 300 pays more.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Why not just charge by weight, if you weight 50 lbs you pay less, 300 pays more.

Because the airlines don't want to do this. If they weigh passengers, they'll have to use those weights for the official loading of the aircraft. One of the airline industry's dirty little secrets is that they get to use average weights for their passengers (and carry on luggage), and these days, those averages are far less than what's actually being loaded. As a result the airline gets to legally pack more stuff (people, cargo, fuel) onboard the airplane.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
school bus style eh? lol

Right.

And for seat belts, use the bar like they have on roller coasters.

MMafter03.gif

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I thought they were packing less fuel?

It depends on the price of the fuel. They'll tanker if it makes financial sense. But you're right, everything else being equal they'll take the minimum. But still, remember that a lot of flights occur in situations where the aircraft is weight limited by temperature, runway length, airport altitude, and so on. So it behooves the airline to be able to call the average male with bags 200 pounds, when the real value tends to be higher.

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
i'm not too sure on what the price of 1sq in per flt hour is but on aircraft equipment, the weight penalties can be extreme. for instance, the new boeing p-8a maritime patrol aircraft, there is a $30,000 penalty per pound. when it comes to airlines, i'm sure it's not extreme, but every square inch and every pound matters. bottom line, if an airline can charge $500 per seat, and someone gets 2 for the price of one, they just loss $500. have a flight full of fat people, they're losing out on quite a lot.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Right.

And for seat belts, use the bar like they have on roller coasters.

I've always said that if I owned an airline, I'd have a seat belt with a shoulder harness that would hurt people shorter than say, 40". So like an amusement park, you'd have to be taller than that to ride.

It'd eliminate the screaming kid problem. :)

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
I've always said that if I owned an airline, I'd have a seat belt with a shoulder harness that would hurt people shorter than say, 40". So like an amusement park, you'd have to be taller than that to ride.

It'd eliminate the screaming kid problem. :)

that's too funny! hahaha

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
And, as a result the rest of us travellers subsidise their travel, via increased fair prices.

Oh yes, it will happen.

I think a doctor's letter is a damn good idea. Like one that gets you out of wearing a seat-belt up here in the Great White Farkin' Cold.

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
Wow, people's true colors really shine through on issues like this huh? :rolleyes:

I have no issue with this. It might be best if the airline is notified within a certain amount of time so that no one gets bumped the day of the flight.

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
i like what house said about seat belts... if you really want people to drive safely, have knives come out instead of an airbag... then people will really pay attention while driving.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Wow, people's true colors really shine through on issues like this huh? :rolleyes:

I have no issue with this. It might be best if the airline is notified within a certain amount of time so that no one gets bumped the day of the flight.

have you been on a flight these days? the airlines make sure the flights are packed. each of the 12 or so flights ive been on this year have had airlines requesting people to volunteer their seats due to overbooking or on connecting flights, asking people to volunteer seats due to weight issues of the plane

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
have you been on a flight these days? the airlines make sure the flights are packed. each of the 12 or so flights ive been on this year have had airlines requesting people to volunteer their seats due to overbooking or on connecting flights, asking people to volunteer seats due to weight issues of the plane
I haven't been on a plane since 2002, so you'd know better than me. But I do think obesity is more often a problem instead of a choice, and those who are obese deserve to be comfortable on a plane just like anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.