Obj-C, PHP & Java questions

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mcman77, May 10, 2012.

1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Hey people

Currently been learning PHP for a while now (already worked with Visual Basic and C#) and planning on moving on Java and Objective C

I'm working as a web developer also using jquery and obviously html/css and mysql.

Would like to know where to start...I know Java is quite close to PHP and might find it easier.

My question is, will I find obj-c easier if I learnt Java or vice versa?

Also how hard would it been to start basic coding with the knowledge I already have for iOS?

Thanks

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

What are you just trying to pick up random languages? How about getting good at one of those and work on a real project?

3. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I study c# and VB at university.

I'm currently working with PHP and that is part of the job.

My question still stand though?

Is it easier to learn obj-c if you already know java?

Cause I know it is easier to learn PHP or Java if you know one or the other.

Thanks

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I don't think it would be easier that way.

Get some C knowledge first - then move to Obj-C - would be easier.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

If you already know C# fairly well, I don't see what advantage you'd get by learning Java.

There's a big difference between knowing no programming languages and knowing one. That's frequently the "benefit" of knowing Java before PHP, or vice versa.

There are also similarities in all C-like languages (which Java and C# both are), such as function-like method declarations, { } for blocks, [ ] for array subscripts, and so on. The Basic-derived family of languages doesn't have the syntactic similarity, but it still has similar features: functions, arrays, etc.

Objective-C doesn't have function-like method declarations, instead it patterns them after Smalltalk. It also uses [ ] for two completely separate things: one is defining a message send, the other is an array subscript.

Also, Objective-C has real genuine pointers, just like real genuine C. So if you don't really understand what pointers are, neither Java nor C# nor PHP is going to help you there.

In any case, no one can tell you how you as an individual will learn things best. The most useful thing you can do is try something and see what happens. If it doesn't work out after a diligent effort, you try something else. If you've tried a few things and failed, ask someone with experience. But until you've tried something, no one, not even you, can give any answer that isn't just guessing.

I don't understand what you're asking. What knowledge do you already have for iOS? Do you mean as a user, using it? Do you mean you've made websites with HTML, CSS, JQuery that are iOS specific? I don't think either of those provides any specific benefit or ease-of-learning multiplier.

6. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

The reason why i'm asking about iOS is because android has a vast amount of help out there to get you started. And I have just recently gotten started on my first tutorial, was initially wondering which way is better to start off.

I'm sure there is a lot of help for iOS but i'm now on a windows PC and will hopefully soon be getting back onto OSX...

I guess I'm going to have my hands full either way I go.

Just to answer your last questions...I was referring to having knowledge in C#, VB and PHP. Will this help in learning obj-C (you've already answered that question though so thanks).