Objective-C and Xcode 6 Books/Tutorials

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by cargomeister, Jan 30, 2015.

1. cargomeister macrumors newbie

I work in a programming shop where I am a back end dev using node.js. We do a lot of front end programming in iOS for all devices. I have been told I should start to learn how to do this, as I can ease into some projects doing simple work, and building up. Makes me a bit more versatile, and it's interesting.

The problem I'm running into is that all the iOS dev books for xcode 6 seem to revolve around Swift. We are not going to Swift any time soon. We have a bunch of experienced devs with Objective-C, with tons of example work in Objective-C. There is absolutely no good reason to make the move yet, and Swift needs more time to stabilize.

The problem is, all the programming books for xcode 6 show Swift. I checked Amazon, O'Reilly and Safare. I guess they figure no one is going to buy Objective-C books anymore. They may be right, but it's a pain. I picked up one that used xcode 5, and got bogged down on the first chapter with the differences in how the IDE looks.

So, anyone found a good tutorial or better a book showing Objective-C with Xcode 6?

2. AppSwage macrumors newbie

I would not let the differences between Xcode 5 and 6 bog you down. The biggest issue in your immediate learning between the two may be with sizing classes otherwise there really should not be any impediment. So with that said I would go to iTunes U and watch their iOS 7 (yes 7) programming class with Paul Hagerty. He's the best and again the differences, even with the iOS version, are not going to be a problem. There is so much you need to learn before worrying about additional iOS 8 SDK. If you learned iOS 7 and Xcode 5 well you would be immediately helpful to the projects at your company and some of the new stuff will be easy to pickup. These are incremental improvements not whole change the world sorts of things.

Besides the Stanford class you can check out the Big Nerd Ranch books which are also very good. Lastly, should you need help around specifics areas of iOS I have free videos on YouTube (link below my sig) to address specific challenges like delegates/protocols, segues, singletons, notifications, etc. which are using iOS 8 and Objective C.

3. cargomeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I did pick up the Big Ranch book from Amazon, but returned it. I was still hoping to for an xcode 6 book, and our company makes use of storyboards for almost all of our UI work, and they stated at the beginning that they would not use storyboards.

I'll check out those tutorials. Thanks kindly for replying. I have a feeling that I'm just going to have to dive in, and figure out the differences after.

4. AppSwage macrumors newbie

BNR is very anti-storyboard. They only hit on them at the end. Stanford though has them throughout. Outside of sizing classes they will be the same between Xcode 5 & 6. Again, the 99% is in material you will learn with Xcode 5 and iOS 7. Don't sweat the small stuff. Good luck.

5. cargomeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time for the reply. Much appreciated.

6. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

bit fountain is offering their course on iOS 7 (= objective-c and Xcode 5) free nowadays. True the IDE is a bit different.