Objective c

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Deduhej, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Deduhej, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011

Deduhej macrumors newbie

I have a very very basic question.

I have NO former experience what so ever with programing anything except from calculators^^ I would like to learn how to program on the mac os x platform just for my own sake, where do i start? Where can you find a beginners guide to learn objective c (not one of those that presume I now everything about classes, function, strings etc)

Would be extremely happy if someone could give at least a hint!

2. firewood macrumors 604

My suggestion is to go to the local library or bookstore and pick out a children's book (or dummies or idiots guide) on computers and programming, any programming language, the easiest to read one you can find.

Since those books are designed for education with a low hurdle, they will be much quicker going than any Objective C book. Once you finish the easy book(s), if you feel you understand and know how to program your way out of a paper bag, then you will have a much higher likelihood of success with a Mac or Objective C specific book.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Get the book "Learn C on the Mac"
    Work your way through it, if it goes well get "Learn Objective-C on the Mac"

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or just try Kochan's book. If it "clicks" with you, it will get you on your way the fastest. It is designed to teach you everything you need without any previous experience.

B

5. neilhouselander macrumors newbie

I'd agree, have tried a couple but Kochan's 3rd edition is by far the best - written for someone who has never coded anything ever. Also a really useful site where you can exchange ideas/get answers to stuff your stuck on: http://classroomm.com/objective-c/

6. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

7. larswik macrumors 68000

I started with Kochan's Objective C book and I got confused about 1/3 into the book. I switched to the book the other people have mentioned - Learn C on the Mac. It helped me get the basic fundamentals of programming and then I moved back in to Objective C with a better understanding.

Start with Objective C. If you get lost take a step back to C like I did.

-Lars

8. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I would second the idea of starting with this book first. The author has a great writing style that exhibits patience for a beginner.