Objective J - Maybe interesting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cabbit, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Found this new framework well i think it is a framework anyway for Javascript.

Some of the applications look pretty interesting and the language its self is rather elegant to read.

http://cappuccino.org/

Demos

Of most interest to me is a application called timetable

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Thanks for posting the link! Looks very cool.

One thing -- the #1 major huge all-important don't-forget-about-it point I stress, whenever I see new Javascript frameworks like this with names that reference yet another form of hot beverage is:

Familiarity with JavaScript is recommended

If you don't believe me, I actually quoted that right from the same web site. Meaning, learn core JS and how the DOM works before you use a framework, even the quality ones like this.

Further:

Cappuccino is not designed for building web sites, or making existing sites more "dynamic".

So remember all frameworks extend site functionality. And, I'll add, remember Javascript can be disabled by anyone, so bear this in mind in your design.

This post is NOT directed at babyjenniferLB but to anyone who is new to development as this forum is, of course, a teaching environment. FYI!

3. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

What did you make of the timetable app, it looks pretty well set up and perhaps something i would consider using daily for dealing with my clients.

Also wondering how it saves to a database or file without something like php or ruby.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This has been around a while (2008).

280Slides from 280North is written in cappuccino.

They are working on an XCode/IB like IDE called Atlas