Obligatory "Which MacBook Pro" Thread--RE: Logic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eaf7s, Feb 24, 2011.

1. eaf7s macrumors regular

OK so I am a bit stuck. Early 2008 15" MBP bit the dust last weekend and I just waited for these to come out.

I use the computer for: standard university stuff (word, ppt, safari etc.) and also SPSS
    BUT
    I do a lot of music recording using Logic Express. Will upgrade to Studio this summer. Never needed more than 15 tracks, standard about 10, but my old 5400rpm (obviously) just wasn't keeping up sometimes. I'm also somewhat interested in live-tracking drums at home now which could add up to 6 more tracks per project.

SO I loved my 15" but I am seriously considering downgrading to 13" for portability--I live in both the UK & the US so lugging it all over the world makes size & weight a pretty significant issue. Only problem is, I can't get the 7200pm hdd OR the antiglare (which I adore) on 13". And of course, doing music makes screen real estate important--but nothing an external display won't fix.

I also will be getting the 25% employee discount on this product.

So here are my two options, any thoughts? If I were to upgrade to 8gb RAM (boyfriend wants to "treat" me to this...) & had the i7 dual or quad-core, would the 5400 still be a problem? Although 8gb RAM seems rather unnecessary, but for whatever reason he's stuck on it. I'd rather just have $200 but he's the one that's gotta buy it so...

13" dual-core i7
    8gb RAM
    500gb 5400rpm hdd
    4.5 pounds
    $1,699 - 25% discount - $1,274

OR

15" quad-core i7
    8gb RAM
    500gb 7200rpm drive
    Antiglare hi-res
    5.6 pounds
    $2,249 - disc - $1,686
    or I could just keep 4gbRAM here - $1,536

Thoughts? Very stuck. $300/$400 is a pretty stark difference and I can't just throw unlimited money at it unfortunately! What about 13" + external display + external drive @ 7200rpm through "thunderbolt" (shudder)?

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Let me give you my opinion from someone who has both. Get the 8GB and a SSD hard drive (but don't purchase either from Apple), and you will never ever look back.

3. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I could always do 250ish SSD and keep most of my media on my external...not a bad idea...thanks :)

I do wonder how much less screen space would annoy me when editing without and external monitor...

4. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

5. Nethus macrumors newbie

Nethus

I am also a Music Recording University student and am going to purchase a 2011 13" with a SSD Drive, storing anything i'm not currently working on etc on an external. Both quad-core and 8GB of RAM is absolutely overkill. You probably won't even need the i7 realistically.

6. Sanderr macrumors regular

My macbook (specs in sig) runs up to 30 tracks with heavy plugins in logic express without any problems so the 13" will perform adequately for you without a doubt ;)

7. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! So should be OK despite 5400rpm? Because last time I was getting 'disk too slow to write' errors but apparently that's a Snow Leopard issue...?

I really appreciate it :)

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That's a Logic issue actually. I have seen it less on 10.6 than previous versions.

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Get the quad core. Logic loves extra processing cores. I wouldn't be surprised if the new 15" quad can run 60-70% more plugins than the 17" i7.

10. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah but w/ discount, dual to quad core difference is $600--sure I'd also get antiglare, larger screen & 7200rpm...but tbh I kinda want the portability...my 15" now has been annoying on occasions. And heavy.

11. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Went for 13" i7 baseline in the end. Actually I don't know if he upgraded to 750gb or not but that's beside the point. It'll be much better for taking into uni & on airplanes etc.

I figure that I will definitely get an external monitor, and if I run in to speed troubles, can upgrade RAM & install SSD meself.