Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alternative iPhone camera app Obscura 3 has launched with several new camera features and an overhauled design that aims to make its various photography tools easier to access.

osbscura-3.jpg

In the newly designed interface, the control wheel of the previous version has been replaced by an entirely gesture-based control system with haptic feedback, which the developer says improves single-thumb control and gives users the closest feeling yet to using a real DSLR on a smartphone.

As in previous versions, Obscura 3 allows users to shoot in a range of formats such as RAW, HEIC, JPEG, Live Photo, and Portrait-style modes, amongst others, but the way the modes are controlled has changed.

The new app builds upon Apple's latest camera hardware, with Pro, Pro Photo, Depth, Live Photo, and Video modes. The default Pro Photo Mode uses only a single camera at a time, enabling manual control of focus, white balance, shutter speed, and ISO.

Pro Mode uses the dual or triple-camera system of the iPhone, with fast zooming between lenses at the expense of the more manual controls. All of the modes offer various shooting options via a gear icon that when pressed reveals horizontally scrolling settings below the viewfinder.

The Obscura camera features also provide flash control, grids, shutter time, and spirit level, while an improved dedicated library browser includes pre-built albums like flagged and starred, and it allows users to apply filters and easily edit, share, copy, favorite, hide, delete, and trash their pictures.

The app also includes three themes, several app icon choices, light and dark modes, and a companion Apple Watch app that can trigger your iPhone's shutter remotely.

Obscura 3 is available to download on the App Store for a one-time purchase price of $9.99.

Article Link: Obscura 3 Camera App Gains Overhauled Interface and New Capture Modes

andyorkney

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Hoped as an Obscura 2 purchaser that there might have been an upgrade path/discount; because that has not been offered I’m wary of investing more. The Obscura 2 hasn’t been updated to correctly reflect iPhone 13 pro cameras with telephoto continuing to report as x2 instead of x3. I’m hoping Ben is going to continue to update v2 or offer an upgrade path. It has camera features that make it interesting and usable over some others that I have in the camera stable

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
What I really want is an app that can automatically focus stack using the 13’s macro mode. The macro implementation in the stock Camera app is still awful even after the updates.

I assume they’ll fix this software problem exclusively for the next generation of hardware.

Reactions: dk001 and cjkastoun

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
$9.99 for a camera app is a bit much, $2.99 is more like it or maybe under $5.

I don't know but all my shots are from the stock camera app and they turn out excellent 99% of the time lately. I just edit them in Lightroom or VSCO Cam.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
While it’s not exactly cheap, I like that there’s no subscription and it includes video and Live Photos so I can just rely on one app.

I had bought Halide but it had issues saving my photos to memory (not what you want in a camera app).

Maybe I will give this a try since I hate the strong denoise Apple does on ProRAW.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Playing around with this for a short while. Not real impressed first glance.
Picture quality vs Halide - Halide is better. Actually Camera is better so far.
Now to get into manual settings.....

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Camera+ 2 does what I need when the built in camera won’t, mainly manual focus. Cheaper than the app in the article and the comments do not seem to be kind to the article’s app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.