Obscure Locking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AbsurdGenius, Mar 2, 2011.

1. AbsurdGenius macrumors newbie

Hi, i've recently been experiencing something funny with my Mac. Randomly, when i'm using it, typing usually, the screen rolls round (with the 'cube effect') and I am asked to enter my password to unlock the system. I've done a lot of Google searching and haven't found anything useful.

More than anything I want to know what keys i'm pressing that cause this to happen to see if its some kind of awesome shortcut I don't know about. I would find one like this extremely useful.

So what's going on? Is this a shortcut I don't know about?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. simsaladimbamba

What you experience is FAST USER SWITCHING, check System Preferences > Accounts >> Login Options. You could also take a look at System Preferences > Keyboard >> Keyboard Shortcuts, though I haven't found one there yet.
    Could this be the case: http://www.maciverse.com/fast-user-switching-with-butler.html

3. AbsurdGenius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I checked out Login Options, and the option to 'Show fast user switching menu' was unchecked (is now checked because i want to find out more about it).

I also checked out my keyboard shortcuts and I can't see anything about Fast User Switching.

EDIT: I also haven't tried anything from the link you provided so can't be that :eek:

Would love to know whats going on :D

4. AbsurdGenius thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so i've checked and can confirm that it is indeed Fast User Switching.

Any ideas as to why it would, seemingly, randomly activate, or is there a default keyboard shortcut for it that I can't find documented anywhere? Thanks.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have Butler installed, or the small application described here installed? If you do, it's possible that something you're typing is triggering those. Also, you could have conflicting keyboard shortcuts defined - between an application and the system, or two system shortcuts, that's causing Mac OS X to get confused and trigger FUS when you don't want it to.

6. AbsurdGenius thread starter macrumors newbie

No i don't have any of those installed, so can't be that :eek:

I haven't experienced it recently, but have been making good use of Fast User Switching using mouse clicks, which prior to starting this thread i didn't no existed :D