Obscure (Maybe) Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btrav13, Apr 17, 2010.

1. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a new 15inch MPB i7. I am using the same external drive that I used with my Air for Time Machine...with one slight difference: this new MBP has 75GB of the HDD dedicated to a Windows 7 partition.

Time Machine is now backing up a HUGE file (my MAC info plus the Windows 7 partition). I read somewhere in here about setting Time Machine to NOT back up the Windows partition. I have combed all through my Time Machine settings and cannot figure out how to do this. If anyone knows, PLEASE, I beg you, help me out :) This backup will take FOREVER every time if I don't rectify this and I'm not genius enough to figure this out on my own :(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

He mentioned that he has a partition, as if he is using Boot Camp and not a virtualization program. If that's the case, Time Machine only backs up your OSX partition. It doesn't back up other OS partitions on your hard drive. Right?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Good catch.

And yes, TM does not back up the Windows partition, as it uses another file system, either NTFS or FAT32.

OP, it seems you have to use Disk Inventory X, Omni DiskSweeper or Grandperspective to scan your HDD for some big files.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You mean NTFS or FAT32? Time Machine uses HFS+.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nooooooo, I mean HFS+. Mac OS X uses ext17 and FAT32 is used by Atari.
    And ZFS will never see the light of our sleep indicator.

I correct that rookie and morning coffee mistake. Thanks.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you positive? i was under the impression that it DID indeed back up the windows partition.

sorry for stalking ;)

edit: ignore me please ;)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It didn't back up my partition, but maybe it was due to it being NTFS?

I'm confused now and should go for a long walk of shame. ;)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bootcamp has to be NTFS. so ya.

have a good walk, buy me ice cream!

10. drpellypo macrumors 6502

n00b time machine question

I'm not entirely sure what to search for so have drawn a blank. Hope someone can help!

I have a macbook pro that I have just sold on eBay. I want to back up everything on the hard disk to an external drive and then put said stuff I have/had onto my mac desktop. If I use time machine, will it overwrite what's already on the mac desktop, e.g, how leopard is set up and what's in the documents folders etc etc, or will it merge the two??

11. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Oops! I meant to post that as a new thread. I have no idea how I posted it as a reply. Sorry for hijacking. lol.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With XP, Boot Camp can be in FAT32 (I don't know about Windows 6 and 6.1 though), one can just use the formatting tool in the setup assistant to format the partition with NTFS.

And was banana okay? They were out of pear.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

DoFoT9 and spinnerlys: Quit it, you two. Now I'm confused. :D

You can't restore a Time Machine backup over top of an existing system. You'll have to copy your important files over manually.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

15. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. I am using Parallels. So the first poster to respond I am assuming had the correct information? Maybe I don't have a partition, I don't know...I paid Best Buy to do this for me :(

Edit: I'm not seeing a "Virtual Machine" folder anywhere, not even through the first path provided. There is a "Parallels" folder though, is that right?

16. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, spinnerlys' original post was correct.

By default, I believe virtual machines are saved to ~/Library/Parallels, where ~ is your user home folder.

17. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Think I got it...I just told it to never sync the parallels folder, so hopefully I'm good...that first backup was ridiculous! Thank you everyone!

18. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Just plug your mac into the HDD then drag your entire user folder onto the HDD on your desktop. Then you can drag it onto your desktop.

Are you planning on buying another MBP? If you are you can back up using time machine then plug the new MBP into the HDD BEFORE you turn it on for the first time. Then boot it up and after the into movie plays select set up from time machine back up

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

really? mine saved to ~/Documents/Parallels!

20. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I use VMware personally; I was just going on the documentation I was able to find with Google. I'll defer to your superior experience.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhh true i forgot about that. vmware must save to the Lib of the user profile? makes sense!

therefore:: we both win! huzah!

22. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, VMware stores its virtual machines in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines. CrossOver saves to ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver, though. Anyway, you were the one actually talking about the right program. ;)

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahaha i had no idea what was going on - just vaguely read the thread just before going to bed and replied! the more the better though! future readers of this thread will know where all the virtual programs save their HDDs! hehe