Observation/Question about Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imanidiot, Apr 12, 2015.

1. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

It would appear (to me) that the primary purpose of Photos is to force you to buy more iCloud storage, since you are otherwise limited to 5 gigs. In my case my iPhoto library is 16 gigs, which makes Photos useless to me. Am I missing/misinterpreting something?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

You can use Photos just fine with a 16 GB library. It's only if you want to use iCloud Photo Library that you need to upgrade your storage.

3. imanidiot, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the clarification.
    But actually I still don't get it. I have the Photos app, and I have my iPhoto library. How do I access my iPhoto library in Photos, and why would I want to? I'm not trying to be disingenious here, I just really don't get it.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Photos is intended to replace iPhoto.
    The first time you open Photos, it will migrate your iPhoto library into Photos, while leaving both iPhoto itself and its library intact.

Apple's intention is that we use Photos completely instead of iPhoto. As is stands now, though, Photos is absolutely horrible and utterly without improvements over iPhoto - except for iCloud Photo Library.
    In summary, there's no reason to use Photos unless you want iPL.

5. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thing is, it won't import my iPhoto library, and when I navigate to it in Finder (from Photos), it's grayed-out. I did just successfully import a small cache of photos which I had, somehow, duplicated outside of my iPhoto library. All of which leaves me a bit confused. But I spend a good deal of my life confused:eek:

6. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone?

Does anyone have any idea why Photos won't migrate my iPhotos library? Why my iPhotos library is grayed-out?
    Thanks in advance.