Observations at a CompUSSR store closing.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jihad the movie, Jan 12, 2008.

1. jihad the movie macrumors regular

I went into CompUSSR to look for some CD-Rs, and didn't find any decent ones, so I made my way around the store and ended up at the As-is rack.

There, on the rack, were three Maxtor drives, for 25% off MSRP, with "Clicking Drive, WORKS AS IS, still under Manf. Warranty"

Yeah right.

It's no wonder this place is going out of business.

2. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Are you sure you mean CompUSSR?

Given how low ago the Soviet Union broke up you would have thought they would have changed the name by now. Still, nice to know they had hard drives even when bread was scarce.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

CompUSSR? seriously what is the point of that?

they weren't a horrible company. its not like they were trying to sell the drives as new or just 'opened'. at least they put that they were 'clicking'

if you don't like the place though, don't shop there.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, give me a break...They're liquidating because...THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. What do you expect them to do? Stay open for 90 days extra so you can return the admittedly damaged drive at your convenience? If you don't like the drive, don't buy it.

And remember: All those folks are sitting there knowing they are out of a job soon. So cut 'em a break, will you?

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can't except top selection from a company that was sold out to a liquidation company.

And if it was CompUSSR, then you would pay $50 to get in and take everything you wanted. Really come on.

The reason they went out of business is poor management from the top and bad marketing and vendor relations.

BusyBuy may do some shady things, but they have strong management and good vender relations.

With out vender relations you go nowhere in a hurry.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This sounds more like POST-Communist Russia to me. :p

7. shecky Guest

shecky

8. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

You know what I've found really funny about Comp USA? Even with 10-50% everything, it's still REALLY expensive and I could find the exact same thing online for less than the "going out of business" special is!

I don't even bother because I know it's not worth it.

~Crawn

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

same thing happened at my local compUSA store about 1.5 yrs ago. i think i read it somewhere that higher priced items were sent back to the manufacturers, and other desirable stuff were sent to other retails or auctions.

10. BigGarb macrumors member

Mac Discounts

I picked up a Mac Mini 2.0 for 10% off. I thought it was a good price considering it is tough to find Mac discounted anywhere. They also had Apple Care 30% off so I picked that up for around $100.

However any of the other merchandise was pretty much a joke. Most of the TVs could be had for cheaper at CC or BB without the "All Sales Final" crap.

Mike

11. nikopolidis macrumors regular

CompUSSR? Is it the name of the computer store? :) Where does it located? How it relates to the USSR? I am from Russia and I'm surprised about it. ;)

12. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I picked up AppleCare for my iMac at 50% off Apple's online price today at CompUSA (only $85 :eek:-- a virtual steal :cool:).

That and a cheap WiFi-G USB adapter have been the only really worthwhile things about my local CompUSA's "We're Outta Here" sale. Everything else was either overpriced to begin with, or was quite beat up. Little wonder, then, that I bought over 90% of my self-built PC's parts from Newegg a few years ago, even if I did have to deal with FedEx.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

In ever really understood what was so bad about CompUSA (ok, i haven't been there in a few years). IMO, BestBuy should be the one going out of business.

14. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

haha I hate that I laughed out loud for that...

15. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I was there the other day and thought the same thing. I think they jacked the prices UP, then add the %-off to bring it back down to regular price. Friend of mine was looking for a hdd to put into an external case he has. They had a 320gb ATA internal priced at $279!!!!! Oh, but you got like 20-30% off. It was laughable.

They did have some deals though, Applecare 40% off (minis and ipods is all they had left).

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

CompUSA had really, really high prices, poorly designed stores, and basically didn't adapt to "computer stores going mainstream" nearly as well as Best Buy did.

In addition to all those issues, Best Buy happens to have an excellent customer relations strategy in the form of the "Geek Squad". On this forum, most people probably turn their noses up at it, but in a world where tech-illiterate people often face long hold times with someone who is unhelpful or who may not speak english well, being able to bring your laptop in to a real person is a HUGE advantage.

Best Buy has not really tried to court the computer-savvy market; as soon as internet commerce became viable they knew that market was going to defect. They concentrate on the average person, and stock enough items that the sale prices lure people in even if the average price is higher. They've also gone out of their way to make a serious customer service turnaround in the last 4-5 years.

Honestly, if CompUSA wasn't going out of business, I would have been putting even money on CompUSA vs Circuit City as the first one to get KO'd against Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Target.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Best Buy sucks. Their customer service is absolutely terrible, their prices are just as high as CompUSA, and most of their employees are complete idiots. All they can do is push their stupid warranties, which they don't honor when the thing breaks, just ask my brother whose PSP broke and they wouldn't replace it, claiming it was abused when there was no sign of physical damage. Circuit City is a hell of a lot better....they get all of my business when it comes to electronics that I can't get off NewEgg for cheaper.

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I could live with that. :D

19. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

But wasn't CompUSA supposed to close in December?:confused:

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think actually by Feb 1 or the end of Feb.

I went to compusa.com, and that is now owned by Systemax...

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It's all a matter of geography and personal experience. I have not had BAD experiences at Circuit City per se, but I've found the store near me (in NJ) to be slightly dirty, very disheveled, and generally lacking in working demos and other useful items. I also rarely find an employee who is willing to do more than make eye contact, unless they are trying to shill me on a Verizon phone that I don't want.

The Best Buy about a mile up the road is clean, everyone is friendly, I can usually find what I need using a coupon or on sale, and I've never gone in without an employee offering to help me. And I am generally pretty hard on Best Buy, because I worked for them in college and know how bad things have been and could be in a Best Buy. But the company has turned around a lot. Again, this is partly my experience, and partly from noticing improvements from when I was an employee.

I think it's very hit and miss across regions, and I do think that your overall comfort level with electronics shopping informs what you do and don't like about a store, which is why forums across the 'net are noticing CompUSA closings, while non-computer people barely register its absence.