Observations on AT&T IPCC configuration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brianld, Sep 17, 2014.

1. brianld macrumors member

brianld

For those who are nerdy enough to care (like me), I took the time today to look at the differences in the carrier settings between the iPhone 5/5S and iPhone 6/6+.

As announced during the keynote, iPhone 6/6+ brings us VoLTE. For those who don't know much about it, VoLTE is actually pretty cool, as it enables voice over LTE (as the name suggests). What this means in layman's terms is that your device will no longer fall back to a 4G data connection when you are on an active voice call. I cannot comment on the voice quality on VoLTE (yet), but the ability to maintain a fast data connection while on a lengthy call is welcome.

Another difference I noticed is that the iPhone 6/6+ carrier settings seem to enable IPv6, whereas the iPhone 5/5S do not. In the real world, you or I will never really know the difference, as this is simply reflecting the devices ability to use IPv6 to establish a data session to the carrier.

Nothing earth shattering here, but thought I'd share for my fellow nerds. ;)

Attached Files:

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Cool stuff. :)

Hope AT&T gets VoLTE out sooner rather than later. Same with Wifi Calling in 2015.

:apple:

3. brianld thread starter macrumors member

brianld

Yeah, the wi-fi calling is interesting stuff too ... and is really a huge benefit to the operators as they get to offload traffic from their mobile networks.