Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
So I received mine 8 days ago. I got the 2.7/16/256 model. Machine arrived in flawless physical condition (screen too). Let me preface by saying I love this computer. 2 years ago my 17" MBP was the best computer I ever used; now this one is. Here are some observations in no random order

1) I have not experienced any scroll lag in chrome.

2) I have experienced tearing with Safari.

3) The mission control animation is sometimes smooth, sometimes laggy. I haven't been able to determine where the tipping point is; whether it's a particular program or just a certain number of windows. I have 2 external displays (one cinema, one thunderbolt) and that does't appear to matter either. Of course, I use alt-tab anyway to change focused programs, since I usually have dozens running, with probably 20-30 windows.

4) When working with the machine on my lap, it gets a bit hotter than I would have hoped (similar to my old 2010 17"). Not hot enough for concern, just hot enough for me to say "hey, that's quite warm" in my head.

5) While the screen is beautiful (I run in 1920x1200), I find that I can't dial down the brightness too much else I have trouble reading. So usually I use it at slightly above half while on battery power.

6) Doing actual work, which involves compiling lots of stuff, running simulators, and deploying to mobile devices, I notice one hour of work uses from 25-33 percent of my battery. I guess it depends exactly on what happened that hour, but that translates into 3-4 hours of time on a charge.

7) This machine is fast as hell. Noticeably faster than my 2010 when doing things like compiling/running webapps/mobile apps. I would guess the speedup is 50%, which of course makes me more productive.

8) I never cared too much about the weight of my 17". I still don't; if I have to carry it around, whatever, it's six pounds. That said, this machine is noticeably lighter.

9) I usually like to start from scratch with a new machine, however this time I used migration assistant. Glad I did. In 45 minutes I was up and running without skipping a step. Well one step -- I had to reinstall xcode and get git working again, but it was easy.

10) The screen is definitely calibrated differently than my 17". What I mean is white looks different on the retina display than it does on my 17" (and also when compared to each external display, which are themselves different from each other). I wouldn't call it a tint though, and it doesn't look incorrect.

That's it. Given all the complaining I see here I expect it to burst into flames killing my family in the process, but until that happens I'm a happy customer.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Mine had laggy MC for the first 2 weeks...then suddenly...NONE. It is now perfectly smooth no matter what. Don't know why.

I'm not sure what kind of sims your doing, but 3-4 hours of CPU intense applications is pretty damn impressive! I haven't done anything intense on battery yet.

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Mine had laggy MC for the first 2 weeks...then suddenly...NONE. It is now perfectly smooth no matter what. Don't know why.

I'm not sure what kind of sims your doing, but 3-4 hours of CPU intense applications is pretty damn impressive! I haven't done anything intense on battery yet.

Mobile app development with titanium appcelerator. This means I run programs that I have to compile on the iOS (and android) simulator. I also deploy programs to my devices to test them on actual devices.

What this means is that the cpu usage will spike for 10-20 seconds a time, once every few minutes, and from what I am seeing the cpu will be running at a base of 10-15% when not compiling. Oddly, sometimes the simulator uses 100% of cpu for a few seconds when I have it in the background.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Mobile app development with titanium appcelerator. This means I run programs that I have to compile on the iOS (and android) simulator. I also deploy programs to my devices to test them on actual devices.

What this means is that the cpu usage will spike for 10-20 seconds a time, once every few minutes, and from what I am seeing the cpu will be running at a base of 10-15% when not compiling. Oddly, sometimes the simulator uses 100% of cpu for a few seconds when I have it in the background.

Then 3-4 hours is extremely impressive. If I ran anything intense on my MBA I would get about an hour.

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Then 3-4 hours is extremely impressive. If I ran anything intense on my MBA I would get about an hour.

Yes I think its ok, similar to my 2010 17". More than enough for me to tinker while watching some TV at night.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Given all the complaining I see here I expect it to burst into flames killing my family in the process, but until that happens I'm a happy customer.

If that happens, I would suggest a Genius Bar appointment the next day. Apple is pretty good about replacing a computer that kills one of their customer's family. They try hard to keep their customers happy. :D

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
if that happens, i would suggest a genius bar appointment the next day. Apple is pretty good about replacing a computer that kills one of their customer's family. They try hard to keep their customers happy. :d

lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.