Observations on switching from the Droid to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wh2332, Feb 24, 2011.

1. wh2332 macrumors member

I didn't preorder my iPhone, so I got it about a week and a half ago. I wanted to wait long enough so that I could return it before the HTC Thunderbolt came out, in case I didn't like the iPhone. Even though that is now impossible, as the Thunderbolt has been delayed, I'm not even remotely interested in such a switch.

As an Ipad user, I knew what to expect with the iPhone. I like the workflows much better, the digital keyboard is so much better that I don't miss the physical one on the droid as much. I really like the apps and app store much better. The android market was always slow, cluttered, and buggy. The app store works much better and has higher quality apps in general. Little things are much more efficient, and there is no learning curve from app to app like sometimes exists on android.

There are only a couple things I really miss about Android. The notifications were so much better, first with the windowshade approach, and secondly they were much more customizable. I had an LED light I configured to glow blue for sms, green for email, red for a missed call etc. I also configured double vibrate for sms, triple for email, etc. This made it much easier to just look at or feel the phone and know what my notifications were.

I also kind of miss the non "walled garden" approach. I can't say I miss any particular app that much, but I liked being able to switch out the keyboard for swype without needing to be jailbroken/rooted.

A couple things have been particularly interesting for me. First, I get much better service on the iPhone than I had on my Droid. On my commute every morning, there were 2 deadspots, one for just voice and one for just data. Now, calls remain crystal clear and my pandora stream doesn't cut out at all. I also work in an area with very little service, I used to be unable to make calls inside my building. Now, I can make sustained calls pretty much everywhere in my building, which is nice. Friends with ATT iPhones have no service anywhere inside the building.

Secondly, the iPhone battery is worse, but not terribly so. Inside my building, the phone struggles to find service sometimes, so the battery gets hit pretty hard. I lose about half my battery in around 9 hours on the iPhone, regardless of usage when in my building. The Droid varied a lot, but usually was able to survive for 2 days with limited usage in the same building. The iPhone would probably die out by noon on day 2. This isn't terrible, I usually charge every night, just an observation.

Finally, my iPhone is much faster at basic tasks. The iPhone is much newer, but it even manages to beat my droid at loading a web page when I'm running apps in the background and on a call (wifi) when my droid has just been booted up. This is unbelievably relevant in day to day use. Everything is so much faster, I end up doing so much more in so much less time on the iPhone, which leaves extra time for luxuries like Netflix.

On the whole, I really love my Verizon iPhone. While there are certainly tradeoffs, it manages to be a much much better day to day device for me. Any other switchers feel differently?

2. Indy2424 macrumors member

I would agree with 100%. I bought my Verizon iPhone on launch day. I also came from an original Droid and my call quality has improved a lot. The one thing I miss the most on my Droid is the LED light. I love the smoothness of the OS and how fluid everything is. I am very happy with my phone and would not even think about switching back unless the Android OS has an overhaul fixing all the little quirky things that happen with the OS.

3. WingedWheel macrumors newbie

Glad you made the switch. I had 3 Android devices before the iPhone, and not one of them even came close to it!

There are so many reasons I prefer the iPhone that I'd just be rehashing what everyone on this forum already knows. But probably the biggest thing the iPhone has over Android is: EVERYTHING WORKS AND WORKS WELL.

Whether it's the bluetooth, email, texting, speakerphone, wifi, cameras, etc, every function on the phone works well. With android, there was always something locking up, force closing, or lagging.

4. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

Former Droid Incredible user here, and I agree 100% with what you guys have said :)

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I would love too for the iPhone to get a notification light, but that's like asking steve jobs to reply to emails with more than one sentence.

6. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

With any luck, you'll only be putting up with that for another month or so.

Great write-up! Welcome to the party.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The notification is something that I miss, android's notification system is much better.

With that said, iOS' email client is much better then androids. I hated the non-gmail email client. I used third party apps to replace the email client but they weren't much better.

Safari is better then what android has to offer.

For me, being a mac user who uses iTunes, iCal, address book and mobile me, iOS is a natural fit. I'm finding it syncs my stuff much better and easier then google's. With that said, I don't use google apps for anything so if I was connected with google stuff, maybe the verdict would be different.

Over all, iOS has a more polished look and feel, apple's attention to details is noted quite well with the iPhone and iOS.

Finally, there's updates and depending on the android phone, will dictate whether this is an issue or not. When I had a Nexus One, Google provided the updates very quickly. From what I hear HTC does a decent job at pushing the updates out fairly recently. Motorola on the other hand has been very slow and when they have provided updates, they've been buggy. While no vendor is going to provide bug free updates. I do expect to get a bug fix fairly quickly. In Motorola's case it took 3 months to provide a bug fix to their Android 2.3 roll out.

Over all There are things I like about android but iOS is a better fit for me since I'm already ingrained in the apple eco-system

8. manueld macrumors 6502

9. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I knew that doing such things was possible when jailbroken, but I really don't want to void my warranty. I know it's possible to unjailbreak your phone, but I've heard stories of people being unable to fix their phones at some point. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but not so much so that I'm entirely confident that I could fix it if I had a problem. How likely is it that I could mess up my phone so bad that I couldn't restore it?

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

100% unlikely. The stories you heard were probably gross exaggerations.

Jailbraking does nothing permanent to the phone, it just flips a switch basically that allows you to install unsigned code. iTunes, app store, etc all work as usual. If you need to take the phone in, just open iTunes and hit "Restore" and it''ll put a factory fresh copy of the OS on the phone. Undetectable after that, so 0 warrenty concerns. I've even heard of Genius' restoring peoples phones to factory in the apple store before swapping them out.

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I've been frequenting these forums for about a year, and have not heard of a single instance where someone has "bricked" their iPhone after jailbreaking. Many people often post in the Hacks forum that they think their phone is bricked, but it turns out it was something insignificant that could be easily resolved.

I've been loving my jailbroken iPhone 4 btw. There are a lot of awesome apps and tweaks that add functionality and uniqueness to the device.

12. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

If Jailbreaking is that simple I might as well give it a go. Worst case, I would be able to put it into DFU mode and then just restore to my most recent non-jailbroken backup right?

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

DFU mode isnt even needed. Just click restore in iTunes. You can use a non-jb backup, but theres no prob using a post jb backup. Some jb files might remain but they wouldnt be accesible by the file system anyway. Or you can always set up as a new iPhone.

Seriously, once you do it and see how easy it is, and see how much functionality you gain, you won't go back. Make sure to install FakeClockUp to double the phones animation speed.

14. DVC78 macrumors newbie

I switched back

I ended up switching back to my og Droid after a little over a week with the Verizon iPhone 4.

Being a Google premier apps user I missed the features of the Androids native Gmail app too much. Setting up as Exchange on the iPhone as well as Gmails web "app" still couldn't match the functionality of native Gmail.

Maps was the other issue that pulled me back. Free turn by turn with Google maps just can't be beat.

Here's hoping Google tries harder to get these two killer apps/features on the iPhone in the near future!

15. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to hear the iphone gets better recepion than the droid. I'm fixing to get the iphone for my wife and she has been impressed with the call quality and volume of my droid.

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

B

You're on drugs
    As a recent iPhone to Android switched the iPhone email client kills the Android version. Especially exchange on the iPhone

17. DVC78 macrumors newbie

I'm talking specifically about Gmail, not anything else. Anyways I found search to work better on the native app, plus I could switch between different aliases on it as well, something I couldn't do on the iPhone. To each his own.

18. Savor, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Savor Suspended

Savor

The best Androids are the Nexus phones. Pure Google experience and without all the waiting for software updates. iPhone just seems more organized. Less steps and buttery smooth. But Matias Duarte (ex-Palm employee, webOS mastermind) does look to change that with Honeycomb.

Lately, I've been planning out my next phone, a non-iPhone. I realized after 3 years with iOS and going through my jailbreak phase, I am not much of an app whore anymore. Many apps really are just website launchers and I can find the info on the browser.

Looking more for a back-up phone I can travel with. I am not a Samsung fan at all, but the Focus looks extremely tempting after playing with one. Rave reviews and I really liked that S-AMOLED screen (w/ Gorilla Glass) which was more vibrant than the HTC Surround or HD7 I saw from T-Mo. WP7 really seems very sleek and more fluid than Android. Give me many of the default apps from the iPhone (like Notes, Weather, YouTube) and simple and common apps like Pandora, Shazam (or Sound Hound), VLC Player, Converter, a dictionary app, a private storage app, RSS reader, sports scores, and some good games, and I'm pretty much set! Give me 20 (non-games) apps and I'm content. The rest I can just find the info through the browser.

I have 75 apps from the App Store (96 total w/ the default ones), and I rarely use most of them anymore. I just keep it there just in case. It is like Facebook friends. You can have hundreds, but there is a fraction that you stay more connected with. You can say I want to be a minimalist with my apps. WP7 could be the answer on trying something new while satisfying most of my multimedia necessities.

19. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

Just so you know, while I think the call quality has been better the speaker is much quieter. The Droid had a very loud earpiece and speakerphone, the iPhone's is more clear but significantly quieter.

20. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

Search works much better on android in my opinion. I think that gmail works better on the iphone when configured as an exchange account than it does in the gmail client on android. However, I could see people who like using certain gmail features not available through exchange preferring android better.

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I went from an EVO to an Iphone 4. I hate the IOS keyboard dictionary..the auto correction sucks compared to the android, and you can't save your own words you use quite often. Other then that I like my Iphone 4 more then EVO. I miss google's voice search. I miss being able to say navigate to Vito's pizza and it popped up the navigation app. Also the Evo's speaker volume was louder seems to low on the Iphone.

22. scott craft macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I will let her try it in the store before we buy it.