Obsession on upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ih8reno, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Just curious, who here really "needed" to upgrade, ie phone was broken or not working properly or even made the mistake of getting a cheap android. Versus, upgraded because they had $ in their pocket and loves their toys

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I "needed" to upgrade because the iPhone 5 offered me things that the iPhone 4 didn't such as siri, larger display, and most importantly LTE. You may consider it a toy, but I consider it a tool and as such the iPhone 5 is better at meeting my needs then my iPhone 4.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Few people "need" to upgrade phones every year, or even every 2 years when contracts run out. However, the 5 is very significant since it supports LTE as well as faster 3G technologies such as DC-HSDPA, that the 4S and earlier models did not. It also has other improvements such as the larger screen and faster processor which may be of benefit as iOS and apps are written to take advantage of it.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I sold my 4S for the price of the 5 so while I didn't need to upgrade I get to enjoy my new device. It's not like I would be paying AT&T any less if they didn't subsidies a new device for me.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

Generally, there is no "need". I decided that I might want a smart phone and a new deign seemed like the time to buy my first personal smart phone. Sure my cheapie regular cell phone was working and work was paying for the service but I use my touch enough to figure I'd use an iPhone beyond just the phone features.

6. Caliber26, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've bought a new iPhone ever since the introduction of the iPhone 3G in 2008. This year, however, I was not entitled to a fully subsidized phone and I ended up paying $549 ($299 32GB + $250 early upgrade fee - not counting sales tax AND the retarded-ass upgrade fee of $36) and I don't want to do that every year. Especially if next year I don't even qualify for the "early upgrade" and I have to pay full price.

Yeah, I sold my iPhone 4S (32GB) and recovered $450 of it, BUT, now that I have the iPhone 5 I see that I could have kept my iPhone 4S and been perfectly fine with it. I plan on staying off of the "S" cycles from here on out, allowing me to qualify for a full subsidy every two years, when a redesign is launched.

However, this is Apple we're talking about. I'm sure next year NFC (or some other ground-shaking MUST HAVE feature) will be introduced with the iPhone 5S and the fanboy in me will be quick to whip out the credit card and pre-order at whatever ungodly hour of the night Apple opens up the online store for orders. Who am I kidding?? I know I won't have the will power. :eek:

Nevertheless, it alway sounds good in theory!

7. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

I upgraded because I had the HTC Evo 4g and it was horrible. It would randomly shut itself down, when someone would call it would freeze up and not let me swipe down to answer the call, and it was just way too complicated. In all the time that I had the phone, I never figured out how to erase apps from it. I had to install an app to allow me to uninstall apps.

It was a terrible phone and I am so happy I made the switch. I received my iPhone 5 on Friday and I couldn't be happier with my new phone. It is a beautiful phone that has all the features I could want. It feels like a Bentley in my had compared to the HTC's Pinto.

8. David87 macrumors member

Strictly, I didn't need to upgrade; my iPhone 3GS still held its charge, made phone calls and went on the Internet. It was as good as the day I bought it back in June 2009. I have the iPhone 5 now because I wanted one.

9. duke5021 macrumors newbie

I did it because I had the money available and am a gadget head. It is a big upgrade from the i4 though and it made sense to me because its something I use everyday all the time. I've spent money on much dumber things that's for sure.

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Was this among those dumber things, by any chance? ;)

11. leenak macrumors 68020

I might need one of those!

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Nobody needs to upgrade, nobody even needs a smartphone.

Anyway, I upgraded because I could, and it'll mean I can enjoy Siri, a larger screen and a camera that works.

13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I upgraded cause I had the iPhone 4 which is awful slow,plus I have the money

14. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Who really 'needs' an iphone at all? Most if not all could get by with a £5 nokia. We choose to have these things because we enjoy having them and they make things easier.

Get off your high horse and let people spend their money on what they choose.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The OP asked who NEEDED to upgrade. These reasons are all well and fine and most would consider them as desire, wants, nice to have. But surely not a NEED like broken phone, etc.

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I didn't upgrade because I have the 4S and of course I'm not eligible for a full upgrade yet. So I will wait till next year. Anyways I don't think it's a significant upgrade from a 4S to the 5. Plus 4S has all the ios6 features so I'm not missing out on anything.

17. megsalias macrumors regular

I "needed" to upgrade in that my 32GB 4S was so full that I couldn't even take photos anymore. I upgraded mostly for the extra memory. The new design/features are just happy extras.

That said, I use the term "need" very loosely. I'm sure I could have deleted things off of my 32, but I didn't want to.

18. SSonnentag macrumors member

Anything more than a basic phone is a want, not a need. Many people are still going through life quite successfully without even owning a cellphone, let alone a smartphone. Sure they're a convenience and fun, but a need? Not for the vast majority of us.

That said, I'm happily enjoying my new iPhone 5 64GB black, my 11th smartphone since 2008. :eek:

19. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi

I didn't need to upgrade to the 5. Just wanted to. I work hard, pay my taxes, obey the law therefore chose to use my free cash. Not obsessed though just made a choice.

Loving the bigger screen.

Josh

20. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I was using a 3 gs that I bought on release day that had a broken screen. I broke the screen 2 years ago and have been using it ever since. I was due.

----------

Lol all in the same post

21. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Haha. I really meant what I was saying but, as I started typing, and started envisioning all the extras they might include next year, I said eff it, and accepted the reality that I might be handing over my hard-earned cash without hesitance. Just keepin it really with myself, I guess. :)

22. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I didn't need to upgrade, but I did wanted to switch to Verizon. I needed a new phone for that.