Obsessive Authentication

Discussion in 'macOS' started by celebrian23, Feb 25, 2008.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I reinstalled 10.4 today on a 1.5 year old MBP. All updates have been installed. There are no other accounts on this computer but mine.

But now it needs me to autheticate (needs my password) any/everytime I try to move a just-downloaded program to the applications folder or when I try to move an application to the trash program, and I've never had to do that before (it doesn't matter what type of application, they all need authetication.

Here's the message it gives me:

In order to use Finder you need to use your password - it then has a the password/name box below.(when trying to delete)

The program (name) is not able to be moved because "Applications" can't be modified. Below that it says "authenticate" - then it gives the name/password box and "ok" - it does nothing. (when trying to move a program to applications)
    (not exact translations - translated from spanish)

Please help!

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Im not postive... but I think that means your user account is not set with FULL admin priviledges.

Go to system preferences and go to the accounts pane, and first off enter your password so you can make changes. No make sure your account is an admin (although it should be)
    Next check permissions and stuff.

3. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I "changed" my password (it was really the same as the old one, but anyways) and now it works fine :)