Obsurd....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mackage, May 13, 2011.

1. mackage macrumors 6502

I still think it's obsurd that even the base 15" Macbook Pro has a higher geekbench score than all the new iMacs with the exception of the top of the line 3.4.

Ridiculous!!

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

21.5" = base 13 and 15"
    27" = high end 15" and 17"

Nothing has changed in like 4 years.

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Absurd. It's absurd.

All the new iMac ship with quad-core, non-Hyperthreaded Intel Core i5 processors. The 15" and 17" MacBook Pros ship with Hyperthreaded Core i7 processors. If the benchmark test is optimised for multi-core processing then 8 virtual cores is going to outgun 4 physical cores.

They're all bloody quick.

5. mackage thread starter macrumors 6502

We all know why they do....that doesn't make it ok.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

And it's also mostly irrelevant, except as a method to compare CPUs (and even then it has weaknesses). For non-hyperthreaded tasks that take advantage of a higher CPU speed, the i5 iMacs will do much better.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Well, the people running Apple think it's OK, 99% of the consumers think it's OK, and all the stockholders aren't complaining.

Why are you blaming Apple for a chip that Intel makes? All the iMacs are better than last year's models, especially since the low end have gone quad-core.

You are comparing i5 to i7 chips, blame intel, they are the ones raising prices across the board for the last two years.

8. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

iMac isn't a powerhouse computer. You're comparing a average user desktop to a designer, or editor's laptop. Is there something you want to do with an iMac that it can't because it runs to slow of a Geekbench? Have you used the new Macbook Air? The Geekbench of that thing is terrible but it's one of the fastest everyday task computer I have ever used.