Obtaining intel version of Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulsu27, Sep 22, 2008.

1. paulsu27 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum, so please be kind.
    A customer of mine wants to put OS X Tiger on her Apple TV. I don't have a problem with that as I know it's a possibility. The problem is I cannot get hold of an intel version of OSX 10.4 I have tried ebay and bought what was claimed to be an intel version of the OS but it will not boot into my macbook, so therefore I cannot install it onto the external firewire hard drive in order to put that said hard drive into the apple tv. I can only think that either the ebayer has sold me a PPC version, or it is only compatable with the machine it was supplied with. It was a couple of restore disks rather than a retail version. I have tried looking for intel retail versions of tiger on ebay, kelkoo, and amazon and cannot find them. I want to go about this the legal way, I dont' agree with warez or copying operating systems. Please help.
    Paul...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't believe there was ever a retail version of Tiger for Intel Macs: there never needed to be as all Intel Macs shipped with Tiger (at least). So all the copies out there will be restore discs tied to specific systems.

3. myusername macrumors member

myusername

never a retail version

There was never a retail version of Tiger for Intel or Universal install. You could only purchase a 10.4.x for PPC. The original was 10.4.0 then there was a updated release to 10.4.4 I think. Anyone who wanted to do a clean install of 10.4 on an intel needed to have the discs that came with their computer or bring it to the "genius bar" to have them install it. The original shipping OS for intel was 10.4.6 or .7 but I could be wrong.

-r