Obviously I do not know the secret to streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tawcat, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tawcat macrumors regular

So, here we are with an ATV, an Airbook, and the hopes of watching streamed TV. Not so, it's nothing but a giant frustration.

My wife opens the network app; wait, stop; before I get all the "why don't you just watch it via Netflix or Hulu, Hulu-Plus."

Some shows are not available for whatever reasons, you can watch them on your iPad, Laptop, or Desktop, and thats it.

So why won't these stream from an Airbook to ATV? My wife will begin to stream and although the program is playing fine on her laptop, it hesitates, pauses, freezes, etc on the TV.

I need to figure this crap out, can someone help?

I've even purchased a range extender for our WiFi, still no help. I am at wits end, trying to keep my wife happy!

Thanks.

2. frojj macrumors newbie

Is your Apple TV on WIFI or hard wired? If it's on WIFI, try plugging it directly into a switch.

3. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is WiFi, I said that. Plugging what into what switch?

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL well now we know why it's not working....seems you have no clue.

So, you can't just stream from your computer, you have to use airplay from your computer and mirror the screen, i domnt think your laptop allows that, too old. So you should enable homesharing from your itunes to share your content you have in your itunes and from there you can run your files.

You should look into any thread explaining how to use an Apple TV and work from the ground up, theres a problem houston.

PS Apple TV is a very simple device everyone, dont let this turn you off

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'll try to be a little more helpful than the last post. First of all, lets get the basics squared away. What model is your MacBook Air? Mid 2011 or newer? Apple TV 2 or 3? And now the biggie. What kind of network are you running? Is it g or n? Wifi range may not be your problem. If you are running a slow network, the apple tv might not be able to keep up. Hence the earlier suggestion to run ethernet from the apple tv to the router if that is possible. Would that be convenient? It would give the best results, but streaming should still be possible over wifi.

6. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Well lets see here, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but obviously if the stream is freezing etc, I must be mirroring/airplay etc. She has a new macbook air, well equipped for airplay.

----------

Her Airbook is a 2012 model, so I doubt thats the issue. Running ATV3 w/latest update.

Okay heres where I might get iffy, G or N? Not sure what you mean by that. We have ATT U-Verse Max Plus internet service.

The Airplay icon is present and many things stream fine. It seems those programs that are only viewable on pc that are the problems. Some shows are not carried by Hulu/Hulu Plus due to a network agreement between them. I have no clue.

Just seems silly that we can stream one thing, but not another. Ironically I am frustrated and I don't even watch the programs, I am just trying to keep my wife happy with her decision to cut the cable TV cord!

7. mic j macrumors 68030

I have AT&T U-verse broadband service. The modem/router they provided me with is only "wireless-g" (It's a 2-Wire model). "g" often does not have the throughput capacity to stream video well. I have always used an Airport Extreme modem attached to the 2-Wire to supply my home with wireless capability. It does both g and n and n is where you need to be.

8. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

mic j> I just discovered that the 3801HGV Wireless gateway from ATT is in fact g only. Ugh!

That said, can you provide some details as to how I need to setup Airport? And will this then eliminate my Apple TV module or are they used in conjunction?

Thank you so much.

9. almonde macrumors regular

I you want the AT&T router to still be a router rather than just a modem, then you don't have to do much, just plug in an Airport Extreme (or even Express would be a decent upgrade) and put it in bridge mode, then connect to the Wifi network it creates.

If you want the airport to do more of the heavy lifting regards routing etc (this is what i do) then you need to put the Airport into the AT&T gateway's DMZ+.

This forwards the external IP to the airport and exposes all the ports to it, in effect removing it, and any traffic through it from the NAT traversal in the AT&T RG. If you search for google for U-Verse gateway DMZ+ you'll find lots of how to's. Thats as close as you can get to making the RG act as modem only. I also turned the wifi completely off on mine.

Mine has been connected as above for over 3 months since last reboot, so its a stable setup

With regard to Airplay/ATV, i use Powerline adapters to move video around, although throughput is similar to wifi, the QoS is much better, never get a single hiccup

10. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

almonde> Thanks. I guess I will have to some Googling as I have no idea how to "bridge or DMZ+." Powerline adapters?????

Sounds like I am on the way to having a happy wife:)

11. Akuratyde macrumors regular

Why do you keep calling your Macbook Air an "Airbook"?

12. almonde macrumors regular

13. mic j macrumors 68030

Powerline adapters (a substitute for a "wired" network vs a "wireless" network) are a last resort. In most instances, wireless works just fine and it doesn't sound like you are really doing any large file transfers.

I have my AEBS (Airport Extreme Base Station) and aTV in my basement in separate rooms and keep my MacBook Pro on the ground floor of the house. No problem streaming or transferring files. Although file transfer is not as quick as if it were wired, it is decent. I recommend focussing on getting an AEBS and connect it to your u-Verse router. Using the Airport Utility for setup:

under the Base Station tab: Create the base station name and password
    under the Internet tab: select Connect Using>DHCP
    under the Wireless tab:

Network Mode> Create a wireless network
    Wireless Network name>create a network name
    Wireless Security>WPA2 Personal
    Password>create a password

under the Network tab >router mode>select "off (bridge mode).

This is your basic setup.

I think using the AEBS will solve your issues, if not, return it and give power line adapters a shot.

14. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, will have to decide if going the DMZ or just using the Airport Extreme as mic j says.

----------

mic j, thanks so much, this seems easier and not so complicated. Am gonna run out today and get the AEBS, will post results within the next few days.

Thank you to all.

15. almonde macrumors regular

I think I could have been a bit clearer, the DMZ is way of configuring your uverse router to let the AirPort Extreme do the routing. However I would initially try the bridge mode in the airport as described by mic j says, if that works for you then all good. If not then you can do DMZ method mentioned above. Both cases require the AirPort Extreme though, they are just different ways of using the hardware.

16. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, thanks for the added info. Gonna try the easy way first, if it works, great! If not, hello DMZ!

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

if the media is in itunes on your computer, go to the computer option on your apple TV and it should be there. just enable the library for home sharing first and disable wifi syncing of and idevices

if it plays and stutters, how many wifi routers can you pick up? could be interference from other devices

18. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

Brain fart I'm sure.

----------

It really is hard for folks to understand that some programs are "not allowed" by the network to air on anything other than a pc, some of this stuff won't even play on nthe iPad even though I have the app for that.

19. mic j macrumors 68030

Can you give a couple examples of what you are talking about? It might help understand the nature of your frustration.

20. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

For example on USA Suits and White Collar; Hulu/Hulu Plus cannot provide it because of a USA network policy (I guess.)

Bravo Top Chef, same case as above.

CBS CSI and Survivor, same reasons.

Granted some of these you can go to iTunes and "buy" the season, but why buy it when you can supposedly stream it?

Again, I apologize for not being clear, I have no idea how a TV works and in my house I do not have control of the remote. By choice, I've never been dictated by a TV program. My wife on the other is addicted to TV. OMG if we are out at 7pm and one of her shows is coming on.

When we were connected to cable/U-Verse, the DVR feature was always full!!!!

Hope this explanation helps.

21. linds15 macrumors 6502a

hulu has two tiers, the free hulu, and hulu plus. hulu plus allows you to use their service on connected devices (anything not a desktop browser). unfortunately, some programs offered on hulu aren't available on hulu plus, due to licensing agreements. the OP is trying to use his desktop browser to airplay mirror said content to his tv.

22. tawcat thread starter macrumors regular

mic j> Went out and bought the AE 802.11ac. Came home, plugged in an ethernet, plugged it in, and so far my bride is watching Suits without any big glitches!

Was there something else I was supposed to for the setup?

I identified a network name and connected my wife's "Macbook Air" to the new network, did the same with the ATV, things seem to be working well.

Thanks for all help and almonde's as well.

23. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Crikey…. some of you can be rough on this guy. Can we get less attacks and more help for the man?

24. linds15 macrumors 6502a

if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm fairly certain that a simple plug and play (as you did) will put the AE intro bridge mode, and you are now just getting a much better signal range and speed.

25. mic j macrumors 68030

Thank you. I understand better now. Yes, there are some sites that do not allow AirPlay of their content. Just to make sure, there are 2 things you can do using AirPlay 1)AirPlay and 2)Mirror. The first is a direct streaming of video content and the 2nd is displaying your desktop and any contents on it to your aTV. Have you tried mirroring as well as AirPlay for the programs in question?

There are some downsides to mirroring, black bars along the side on the tv picture (aspect ratio is different), stereo only (I think).

----------

Not sure what you're referring to. Looks like a pretty helpful thread to me.

----------

Totally agree!!!

Glad it was as easy as that! :)