OC Mac Pro in Bootcamp w/ SetFSB?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cuyahoga, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Cuyahoga macrumors member

Cuyahoga

As my 2008 3,1 Mac Pro begins to enter its sunset years with no updates in sight, I've been trying to get a little extra performance out of it without spending too much money.

I'm under the impression that the Xeons in a MP's should allow some degree of OC'ing without heat issues due to their conservative design. Using CPU-Z & SetFSB, I should be able to achieve this.

In SetFSB, I believe I have the proper Clock Generator selected for my E5462 (ICS932S421BGLF), and I'm able to "Get FSB" without any issues. I can even increase the bus speed by about 5 MHz without issue. Anything above that causes a freeze & the fans to spin up. I promptly do a cold shut down, which resets the bus speeds.

I know I've read users having a similar experience on MP's, but I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Batemans macrumors newbie

Did you manage to resolve this? I had a look around for myself and reached the conclusion that 1CS932S401EGLF was the correct clock generator for a 3.1 MP?

3. Cuyahoga thread starter macrumors member

Cuyahoga

Nope, no luck. I'll update this if I get anywhere, but it's not looking hopeful.

4. Batemans macrumors newbie

I managed to get my 2.8 up to 2.9/3.1 last night, it was an extremely frustrating process. There seems to be no consistency as to when it freezes, sometimes it freezes after a +1 to FSB, other times not until 3-4 jumps of +10.

Anyway I think I settled for something like 425/760 @2.95, only an increase of 300 or so in geekbench but better than nothing.

I also tried 'SysTool', which would not run (Driver error, then kernel error) and Clockgen which doesn't have the correct MP clock generator.

This was using 1CS932S401EGLF btw.