Occasional "black screen" on my 3G...anyone else get this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plasmo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. plasmo macrumors member

Every once in a while (about 2-3 times a day) I get a random black screen
    which requires me to push the top power button two times (then slide to unlock) to get back to where I was...

...does this happen to anyone else? At first I thought this was a 2.0 bug issue, but haven't seen too many others complain about this.

It can happen when using an App, or surfing Safari, or playing music (doesn't matter what I am doing). I don't lose what I was doing, but it does get annoying - requiring me to push the top button twice to get back to where I left off.

If this is "normal", let me know, otherwise I may need to swap. ...the only problem I may face is trying to "reproduce the problem" in front of the Apple genius when describing this issue... THX

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If you mean the phone goes to sleep at random, (i.e no backlight) then it has happened to me, even on the 1st gen iPhone. I think it just gets a little overwhelmed sometimes. More so with 2.0. If you mean the screen goes black but is still backlit, i.e. not sleeping, then I have not seen that and you may have a problem.

3. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

It goes completely black. My V1 never ever had this problem...

It happens even when the 3G is not "under strain" or major use-

I'm not sure what you mean by "black but still backlit"... but this is an annoying problem.

4. arabiafish macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem on my first-gen iPhone after I installed 2.0, I can't tell whether it's a 2.0 issue or a Pwnage/Cydia issue. Did you jailbreak your phone with Pwnage?

Exact same symptoms, frequency, and solution. It's pretty annoying...

5. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

NOPE. My 3G has never been Jailbroken. This began on day 1 when the 3G was released. Initially not too much of a bother because it happens infrequently, but not i'm getting a little annoyed.

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

It happens about once a month for me, happens with my 1st generation iPhone as well..

Neither are jailbroken.. I'm not quite sure what causes it?? perhaps switching Apps too quickly??

7. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

Not sure either, but this happens even when no apps are in use...
    ...sometimes when just surfing these forums it happens!

8. thejake0 macrumors newbie

I get this as well. I'm hoping it's a software issue.

9. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

Do you have V1 or 3G?

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I have both, it happens randomly on both versions. Although it happens usually with a 2-5 mins window after making my phone go to sleep.

11. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

I guess the 2.0.1 update didn't fix this.... :( this is still happening about 4-5 times per day for me....

Does anyone else get this black screen (as if the proximity sensor turns ON and the screen goes black) at random times? I'm suprised I am not seeing more threads about this, and may need to return my 3G for a new one...

12. thejake0 macrumors newbie

I'm on 2.0.1 (on a 3g) and I still get this. I don't think it's the proximity sensor itself - I've seen it happen when I wasn't touching it and it was a foot or two away. Mighty annoying, none the less.

13. thejake0 macrumors newbie

14. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Yup, happens to me too. I think my 1st gen phone did it too. I mostly notice it I am waking it; I don't know that it's happened while I was already doing something on it. Good point on the passcode lock though; I usually have that enabled, and have noticed that some other glitches show up when using it..