Occasional black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sigurdjorem, Jul 11, 2011.

1. sigurdjorem macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the screen on my late 2007 MacBook. Occasionally (without a recognizable pattern) it will turn black, as if the screen lights were turned down to minimum. If I then flip the screen halfway shut it will typically be working again. My temporary solution has been to flip it back and forth until it starts working again while at straight angle. It seems like a hardware problem, but does anyone know of a solution that does not require sending it to service? (like, if it's possible to fix easily with a screwdriver)

I really appreciate any answer!
    -Sigurd

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is it the backlight that goes out or the entire image?

3. sigurdjorem thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, it looks just as if I manually turn down the screen lights with the F1-button to a minimum: It appears to be completely black, but at closer inspection I can make out a few contours. I guess that makes it the back lights.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You could need either a new inverter cable, a new LCD, or a new inverter.

I'd get the inverter with a new cable.

The LCD backlight is powered by an inverter board, which takes DC voltage from the logic board and converts it to AC for the LCD's backlight. If the inverter is broken, or the cable supplying the voltage is dead, it won't work.

There is one inverter for a1181 Macbooks, but two different cables. One sticks up off the board a little like a cube, the other kind is flat. Open the machine to see which kind yours uses, and then buy the appropriate cable.

Some a1181 inverters come with the cable. That's what I suggest you get.

5. sigurdjorem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the informative answer! I'll follow your advice.