Occasional Clicking from 500GB toshiba HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulhannon, Sep 26, 2011.

1. paulhannon macrumors member

I know people ask this a lot but I have a slightly different question.

Im aware of the motion sensor to protect the HD and the sounds a dying HD makes. However, my macbook pro 13" makes a click sound every so often, just randomly. It can be perfectly still and it will just happen. It can be days sometimes before i notice it again and has been this way pretty much since i got it.

it runs just as well as normal, i use it to DJ live for up to 8/9 hrs at a time and it behaves fine. I've got my stuff backed up on an external drive using time machine so to cover myself should the worst happen.

Can anyone say what this random click could be? It's not motion, it doesn't result in a stall and i don't think it's dying yet.

it's model is a TOSHIBA MK5055GSXF

Also while I'm here, my DVD drive won't burn DVDs. Is it hard to get these replaced, does it take much effort to put in a new one?

2. quasinormal, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

quasinormal macrumors 6502a

As for the optical drive- it should be fairly easy to replace in a unibody. edit- except the airport card needs to be removed for access in the 13".

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro

I don't know about the hard drive noise. I've got a Hitachi 2TB 7200 drive in a MP and it is incredibly noisy. I don't know about the hitachi 750GB in my MBP because the damn thing runs so hot, I can't hear anything above the fans.