Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtyler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I have had a MBA 13" 2011 for about 2 months now and I really enjoy it, it is great and I love all of the features it packs. However, I have had just one minor problem and I'm not sure if it is related to my computer or to the Lion OS. When I use my computer, sometimes it locks up and completely freezes at random. I may be browsing a web page or just writing a document in pages or even just leave it sitting and come back, but it will be completely frozen and the only way to fix it is by turning it off and back on. I'm not sure if this is a Lion issue, or my computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
That's not a good sign that you have to force power down all the time... take it to apple store and see what they can do for you..

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No It's Not

I have had a MBA 13" 2011 for about 2 months now and I really enjoy it, it is great and I love all of the features it packs. However, I have had just one minor problem and I'm not sure if it is related to my computer or to the Lion OS. When I use my computer, sometimes it locks up and completely freezes at random. I may be browsing a web page or just writing a document in pages or even just leave it sitting and come back, but it will be completely frozen and the only way to fix it is by turning it off and back on. I'm not sure if this is a Lion issue, or my computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your MBA is about the same age as mine and I have had no such problems. What's the spec on yours?

128, 256?

This is something that I think you should get swapped out. I'm not trying to panic you, but I'm thinking SSD? First thing to do is to backup all your critical stuff. Then try running disk utility first to verify the SSD (still called Macintosh Hdd) and then repair your permissions. If the freezing still happens Take it back to the store.

Remember, before running any disk utilities back up first.

vtyler98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Your MBA is about the same age as mine and I have had no such problems. What's the spec on yours?

128, 256?

This is something that I think you should get swapped out. I'm not trying to panic you, but I'm thinking SSD? First thing to do is to backup all your critical stuff. Then try running disk utility first to verify the SSD (still called Macintosh Hdd) and then repair your permissions. If the freezing still happens Take it back to the store.

Remember, before running any disk utilities back up first.

It is the 128gb model, bought it from a Best Buy store back in early August or end of July I believe. It has had this problem since I got it, not sure why it has been doing this. I'll try the disc permissions and see if this happens again. Just tonight it has happened twice, within a short period of time, but hasn't happened again. If it is an SSD related problem will the Apple store be able to detect it or fix the problem? If it is SSD related would they give me a new one? I've never had to deal with the Apple store before so I'm not sure how their warranty and all works.

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
I have the 2011 MBA (13" 256) as well and noticed the same problem since I got it almost a month ago. Not a big issue for me right now because I use my iMac27 more often and I figured I should monitor it if the problem persists and it does. I will do a repair permission tonight and if that doesn't do it I will take to the store.

Shapethelola

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I have the Macbook Air 13 i7 ultimate. I had exactly the same problem as you guys. At first I noticed that the problems only occurred when having something attached to the usb ports and/or display port. Apple checked my Macbook Air and thought theres something wrong with the USB controller. But that did not solve my problem with freezes, so I checked with apple again and after that they ordered a new logic board and after installing it the problem went away. So I assume (of course I am not 100% sure) you have exactly the same problem.

It was hard for apple to find out what caused it, but after telling them to try with 2 usb devices and a hdmi display they knew what it was all about.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.