Occasional restarts and hanging AHT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cdf, Aug 9, 2017.

1. cdf macrumors member

I've recently noticed that my cMP (4,1->5,1) occasionally restarts upon wake from sleep (logs indicate something perhaps related to the video card—a flashed Maxwell card), and I thought that it might be a good idea to run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT). Unfortunately, the test hangs almost immediately during the initial probing phase.

In the past, before having flashed and upgraded this machine, AHT has worked fine. I've tried putting back the original memory, original video card (GT 120), and taking out all of the disks, including my PCIe SSD. I also did both SMC and PRAM resets. Still, the test hangs.

Does anybody know if a flashed firmware or upgraded CPUs (two x5680s) can cause AHT to hang like this? Would the hanging be related to the restarts?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. cdf thread starter macrumors member

I used an external USB hard drive that contains a bootable volume with the utility. It's the same that I've used in the past.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If that's the 4,1 AHT, may be you can try the 5,1 AHT

5. leon771 macrumors regular

See if you can locate and download the ASDs for your machine. I found a Dropbox link a year ago on a forum about reflowing solder and repairing old machines.

6. cdf thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion. Since the two have the same logic board identifier, I was under the impression that the utility was the same, but the file names are indeed different, so I'll give that a try.

I tried the EFI version of ASD for a 4,1. It similarly stalled, at the beginning (with the status "loading camera devices"). Strange. Maybe it's a question of 4,1 vs 5,1.

7. cdf thread starter macrumors member

Using the 5,1 version of AHT worked. With the upgraded memory, video card, and disks back into place, it reported "no troubles found." I'll have to investigate more to identify the restarting issue.