Occasional unresponsive 6 Plus screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty1990, Apr 11, 2015.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I had an issue with my 6 Plus whereby the home button was becoming loose, took it to the Apple Store, had the screen replaced and the button was fixed.

Now however, I've noticed every so often the screen becomes unresponsive, and will not do anything no matter where I touch on the screen. It resolves itself in a couple of seconds or so, or when I switch the screen off then back on, but just wondering if this is an iOS 8 issue?

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have noticed the unresponsive screen a couple times on 8.3

My iPhone is still a little slow on going back to portrait mode from landscape

Nothing a big problem though---

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've had that from day one with my 6+
    I never switch the screen off though, I just wait for it to sort itself out, which it always does in anything from 2-15 seconds.
    So I'm taking it that you didn't have this problem up until Apple changed your screen? That would suggest a hardware problem unless you updated your software at the same time.

4. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not entirely sure if it was like this before the screen was replaced, as I use it a heck of a lot more now my home button is solid, than I did when it was loose - it put me off using the phone, so I didn't use the phone for long periods, so if it was like this I didn't notice.

But it is a known bug with iOS 8? Which is more likely than them screwing up the screen replacement?

Also I just noticed I'm not on the latest version of iOS :/

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well, it's a known bug with my 6+☺️
    I have seen reports on these forums from owners of iPhone 5/5S/6/6+ owners about freezing screens, with the majority being 6+ owners, but the reports are few and far between. Most people seem to not have this problem or it certainly isn't widely reported. My guess is that it's related to iOS8 but I just don't know.

I haven't had it happen yet with iOS 8.3 but it's early days. I did have some brief lag in the messaging app but it wasn't the classic screen freeze. I'm quietly confident as my phone used to do it several times per day, and I have now gone one full charge without experiencing the problem.

6. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Happened to my 6 Plus a couple months ago. It went from being unresponsive for a couple seconds to progressively worse at a couple hours.

Made a Genius appointment, he said its some faulty coding somewhere after running diagnostics. I didn't fully believe him but he said give it a couple days and restore it from new. Hard to believe coding would make a screen unresponsive is what I told him. Lo and behold, that night it froze again all the way until waking up the next morning. Unbelievable.

Took it back in without making an appointment and found the same Genius. I asked politely in an annoyed manner and asked for a screen replacement or an entire replacement. He was cool and gave me a new phone.

Not sure if it matters but my original 6 Plus was Release day TLC. My replacement was MLC and no problems whatsoever.

7. IdealTech macrumors member

Sounds like a hardware issue since it only started to occur after you had your display replaced.

Take it back to the store to have your display replaced again.