"OCD" on MacRumors (Rant!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Brian Y, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Y macrumors 68040

First off - Mods, I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I wasn't too sure where to put it.

Am I the only person getting a bit sick of every post about scratches being labelled "Sorry, I have OCD"? I know OCD has become apparent in popular culture in recent years as the "cool" thing to have, but it's really not - and I find that people who say things like that are just insulting people who really do suffer with the condition.

So you've found a small scratch on your iPhone, and it bugs you when you see it. What part of that is obsessive or compulsive. If you had thoughts about that scratch killing somebody, that would be an obsession. If you then had to do something completely irrational, such as walking around the garden 50 times, in order to remove the thoughts of the scratch killing somebody, that's a compulsive behaviour.

Also, the key part of OCD is that the obsessive part has to be irrational. Worrying that you've scratched your £500 device is perfectly rational. As is worrying when you park your car that somebody might key it. You spent a lot of money on it, damaging it is a perfectly valid worry.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm becoming a bit bored with people on here belittling it, and often making it out to be a kind of a joke/excuse for things. At the end of the day, anybody who did genuinely suffer with OCD would NOT use it in the context that everyone on here does.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Thank you for posting this. OCD is a real, sad disorder that makes life more difficult. Caring too much for your phone is not an obsession anymore than trying not to scratch your car is an obsession.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While I agree with you basic premise, it should be pointed out the (mis)use of psych diagnostic terminology is part of the vernacular now.

I don't particularly like it, either...it trivializes the extreme discomfort, or suffering, of those for whom the terms are accurately descriptive.

When I see "OCD", or "paranoid", or "schizo" casually misused...it gets my hackles up, too...but it's my observation that the users don't particularly care (or are ignorant of) the impact it can have.

There are usually responses to complaints such as yours along the lines of..."don't make such a big deal out of it".

I can only suggest that the use of the terminology not be taken in any way literally, but rather as an annoying, inaccurate, casual shorthand.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't we just call them what they really are? Anal retentive. :D

5. chown33 macrumors 604

I wonder if this thread should be merged with the "What ANNOYS you the Most" thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1661470

I'm OCD about threads with the word "rant" in the title. That, and Capitalized words in Capitals that Shouldn't be capitalized. Oh, and redundancy.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I have OCI (Obsessive Compulsive Indulgence).

8. Brian Y thread starter macrumors 68040

I guess I should've expected this thread to bring out the best in MR. :rolleyes:

9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I completely agree with you and I feel the same way with people who say they have insomnia just because they can't sleep on a particular night.

10. kolax macrumors G3

As mentioned already, I think people confuse OCD with being anal.

I'm happily to admit I'm really anal about displays. It'd only really become OCD if I couldn't work with a display that wasn't up to my standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.