OCD or legit issues with new MacBook pro?

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Here are my issues:

1) high pitch whine from the HDD area *but* can really only hear it in a quiet room with my ear somewhat near the keyboard.

2) magnetic latch for the lid that is very strong. Wonder if this will loosen over time?

3) bottom plate not quite flush with the unibody. It is only off center by a small amount.

Everything else is perfect on the machine. I'm still within the return window and considering swapping for another. On the other hand, I could get a machine with worse issues and feel like I should just enjoy this one.

I know this comes down to a personal decision but am curious if there have been others with a similar experience swapping for minor issues to a machine with bigger problems?

Any experiences f

whalebiologist

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I'd say OCD.

The HDD is always gonna make noise, it contains parts that move, very fast :D

You're never going to find a 'perfect' macbook pro, you can always find the slightest imperfections, especially if you try really hard to find them. Just keep it man.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
1. HDD’s make noises, especially in quite rooms with your ear right up to the device
2. Magnets don’t really lose strength
3. By how much?

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Here are my issues:

1) high pitch whine from the HDD area *but* can really only hear it in a quiet room with my ear somewhat near the keyboard.

Yeah, hard drives kinda of make noise..

2) magnetic latch for the lid that is very strong. Wonder if this will loosen over time?
Seriously? If the magnet is so strong that you are considering returning your computer, you need to go to the gym.

3) bottom plate not quite flush with the unibody. It is only off center by a small amount.

Eh, I guess. This is the only somewhat legitimate complaint. But still OCD

Everything else is perfect on the machine. I'm still within the return window and considering swapping for another. On the other hand, I could get a machine with worse issues and feel like I should just enjoy this one.

I know this comes down to a personal decision but am curious if there have been others with a similar experience swapping for minor issues to a machine with bigger problems?

Any experiences f
:confused:

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
You can adjust the bottom plate by loosening all the screws and repositioning the plate if it bothers you that much.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
1) This is normal, unless it is VERY frequent. How often do you hear this.

2) You'll get used to it, getting a new one certainly wont fix this problem

3) Im not exactly sure what you mean here. Pic?

BobbyCarbn

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Just like my dad told me with my first car. If you don't like the noises it makes then turn up the music :)