Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I have ATITool .27 for windows vista and I'm slightly scared to use it but I know I need some sort of system speed increase for my Graphics card. The problem is that I don't know how to use the programme at all! I assume you must find the highest values with the "Find Max" tests and then set the speeds yourself. In the little dropdown box it says my default is 89.95/89.95 Arent iMacs supposed to be in excess of 400/400 or something? I also noticed that you can set the speeds up to 2000/2000:eek: I guess that is dangerous?

I'm running an iMac Core2DUo 20" stock with Vista in Bootcamp.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I've used it on my PowerMac and I knew my limits, the screen would start getting very glitchy, so I knew I had overclocked too far so I would set it back a little lower.

I find no point in overclocking it, it's dangerous and doesn't give you that big of a boost. I'd be scared of doing that in a iMac because you can't swap out graphics cards like you would in a normal tower.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I've used it on my PowerMac and I knew my limits, the screen would start getting very glitchy, so I knew I had overclocked too far so I would set it back a little lower.

I find no point in overclocking it, it's dangerous and doesn't give you that big of a boost. I'd be scared of doing that in a iMac because you can't swap out graphics cards like you would in a normal tower.

Good thing there is Applecare ;)

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
iW00t said:
Good thing there is Applecare ;)

Customer: My computer melted.
Applecare Guy: Good thing you have apple care :p

1 weeek later...

Applecare Guy: We Diagnosed your mac, seems your graphics card melted due to a bad overclock.
Customer: And...
Applecare Guy: It's going to cost you some serious ca$h:D Have a nice day..

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
pizzowned.

Lol, i wouldnt overclock.

I was thinking the same thing...

My friend overclocks his X1900 in the Mac Pro, no idea how. He just did it... was weird but he said he got like a 10% performance boost, and all it cost him was to put an extra fan behind his tower.

X1600 i wouldn't try it. iMacs are really compact, and i think they use notebook processors...

If that melts, your computer melts.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
And they can tell you overclocked you video card how? I've been doing it pretty much everyday for months now. You learn the limits very quickly.

GazzaMataz

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2007
If you ATIAccelerator did work for the iMacs what sort of speed boost would be safe 5-10%

I don't think I would go faster than that myself.

What are the core and memory speeds of this GPU considering it is a mobile version it will differ to the PC card equivalent wouldn't it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.