OCing in Vista

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Is there any OCing tool that works for Vista 32bit? Rivatuner and ATI Tool does not work for me.

2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I to am looking to for overclocking software for Vista. ATItools just dosent work. RivaTuner just wont clock when I rise the settings. The only one that I found that works is nTune.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html
    The only problem is the settings dont save when you reboot the computer

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmm, you're using a computer with an Nvidia graphics card and you're wondering why ati tools dosent work?

ya'll do know the card is intentionally under clocked from its stock speed so it dosent overheat right?

4. TSE macrumors 68030

As long as they are using the MacBook Pro on a flat surface such as a desk, have good ventilation, and the room is fairly cold with maybe a fan blowing down through the MacBook Pro's keyboard with the MBP's fan all the way, there should be absolutely no problems.

5. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

somebody already mentioned this on another post about the same thing. but lots of people on this forum have claimed they're OCing their NVIDIA cards with ATI tool at or even above the stock speeds and it still works fine with no overheating.

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Macbook Pro gets hot enough as it is I wouldn't try and over-clock it unless you can afford to replace it and don't mind it getting fried if you make a mistake.

7. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I replaced my "old" 2.33 merom MBP i bought less than a year ago for the new penryns, paying over a thousand dollars penalty after selling the first MBP well below its market value. so if I can afford that kinda loss, would you really think money is an issue for me? ;)

8. TheScavenger macrumors regular

There just isn't a big enough difference in game frame rates to justify OCing a laptop.

Josh

9. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

haven't a lot of people been able to push their 3dmarks well over 5000 after OCing?

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I just bought the SSD Macbook Air, I wouldn't OC no matter what, also just bought a genuine Omega Seamaster as well, you think money is a problem for me as well do you?

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

which is equal to 2-3 FPS...not a big deal

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

don't forget that 1st and 2nd gen MBPs did use ATi.

13. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I use nTune and my speeds were 614-Clock and 854-Memory and that was the max I could get without Artifacting. I got almost 8 fps increase in Crysis. Not all games will be effected as much. I have fans blowing right on the hot spots of the MBP. Overclocking is a big deal for people who want the most out of your hardware, just beware you shorten the life span out of the hardware.
    Found this interesting reading
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=139270

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, but the OP has a penryn

15. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

downloaded it but i cannot find the options to OC! there's no interface to which I can adjust clock speeds. can you be more detailed on how you this program to OC?

16. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. AtiTool can OC Nvidia video cards despite the name.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

ATiTool also offers a pretty nice feature to check for artifacts (basically to check to be sure that you didn't OC too high)

superspiffy, don't overclock. It will compromise system stability and have the potential to fry your video card. The benefit will also be minimal and the amount you'll be able to overclock without being constrained by heat is not much. Overclocking laptops is never a good idea.

17. yaddam205 macrumors member

Ignore him, just about post I read from this member is negative in some fashion. Ignorance is not an excuse.