ocing mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook pro i5, Jul 25, 2011.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

hi i got the baseline macbook pro 2011 model 13 inch .........and i want to oc it any help probably gonna get bad responses:cool:

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

3. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

what about in a bootcamp partition

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if tools existed for the purpose, by doing it in Windows, any overclocking will be relegated to default once you boot back into OS X, thus defeating the purpose of such a task.

On the other hand, if you bought a Mac and decided to only run Windows so you can overclock, why would you spend more money on a Mac then?

Therefore you cannot overclock the Mac in the traditional sense since there is no BIOS tool to speak of and the ability to perform such task in an alternate environment is irrelevant.

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

In bootcamp W7, i over clock my GPU, but as alphaod said, it would just change back when you restart to OSX. And the 2011 13" baseline, is not gonna become more powerful when you OC it since Intel CPU has its own Turbo Boost technology and the HD3000 is not worth OCing. If you want a couple more fps(1-3) in gaming, upgrade your ram to 8gb so HD3000 uses 512mb instead of 384mb.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Intel "sandy bridge" mobile CPUs (as used in the 2011 laptop line) turbo up very aggressively, heat levels permitting. On the i7 it can be over half a gigahertz when a single CPU core is being used. While turbo mode is less severe when stuff's running on all cores, it's still worth up to a couple hundred MHz, and it doesn't void your warranty, and the CPU's hardware diagnostics unit is constantly monitoring current draw and temps to keep your chip safe, meaning you won't crash all of a sudden either.

OCing isn't really anything to recommend in a laptop anyway, due to heat and power/battery issues. Get a desktop if the goal is to tweak out every aspect of the computer. :)

7. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

so basically you guys are saying that since osx has efi firmware it can't be oced
    and the only way to oc in a windows partition .........ok I'm fine with that:D already made a partition plus 8 gig is already installed for my mine craft server i have dedicated 2 gig of ram to it so yeah :cool:

8. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

how much heat does the sandy bridge processors make compared to the previous gen I'm interested