Ocot 2.4 or Hexa 3.33

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zapallar, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Zapallar macrumors newbie

So, I'm up for a MacPro and can't make up my mind which to choose:

8 (2x4) Core 2.4GHz Nehalem
    6 Core 3.33 GHz Westmere

I'm mostly doing Architectural stuff: CAD, Photoshop, Layouts, 3D, Renderings etc.
    Especialy for Renderings I will need full CPU power.

The 6 core beats the 8 core in most benchmarks, so as of now this is my favourite (despite the higher price tag), but I worry about the possibility of future CPU upgrades etc. The 6 core seems like top of the line with only a slight margin should I choose for a faster CPU in 2 years time ... the two slots 8 core seems to be more future ready, but I wonder if the MoBo can handle faster Westmere CPUs ....

Any input is highly appreciated :) Thanks a lot!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Honestly, I'd say the 3.33, it'll be a long long time before those applications really take advantage of the Mac Pros hardware.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If 4 RAM slots ain't an issue, go for the 6-core. Counting on +2000$ CPU upgrade in future ain't that ideal IMO. Get something that is good for you now. When most software can take advantage of all 8 cores, even MBA will come with 8 cores :p Seriously, you can sell it in the future and buy new one if needed

4. ZeissmeisteR macrumors newbie

ZeissmeisteR

I had the exact same problem with deciding on which to order. After around 2 weeks decided on the 2.4 8 core, i changed my mind on the order page to the 6 core. At the end of the day, i feel the higher clock speed would help me in the applications i use (FCS, CS5) than the extra amount of cores. That logic should be applicable to the applications you use too at the moment.

5. Ryan P macrumors regular

3.33 x 6 = 19.98
    2.4 x 8 = 19.2

So in general the 6 core is going to be faster regardless of how well optimized the app is. For 3D rendering it would be neck and neck, so you could save a bit and go with the 8 core but you would loose some performance in less optimized apps.

I think the only real reason to go with the 8 would be is if you are almost totally concerned with rendering speed right now, and you might want to do a CPU replacement later. There really isn't any room to upgrade the 6 core but the 8 core could take the 2.93 12 core for sure, and very likely the 3.33 12 core and 3.43 12 core. Keep in mind that would be a $3000 upgrade right now, but a couple years from now you could probably source those on ebay cheaply.

Even the 6 core can be upgraded to 32GB's of RAM and the price surcharge for 8GB DIMM's is really not that much. Very few people are going to need more than that.

6. Major Reeves macrumors regular

None.
    Get a refurb 2.93ghz octo and latter when it's available get the hd5870.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

and if you do need more there are always 16GB DIMMs...

8. Zapallar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot one and all for your input!
    ... as the Octo 2.4 is the older Nehalem with slower bus, would it be even possible to upgrade it with Westmeres later (1333 bus)??

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.4GHz 8-core is Westmere but supports only 1066MHz DDR3. You should be able to upgrade the CPUs to 6-core Xeons if you want to as the memory controller is integrated into the CPU

10. Zapallar thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang, that's what I ment ... both are Westmeres with the 2.4 having a slower Bus ... ***** situation I'm in: I love to have the speed of the 3.33 but hate having to kick myself in 2 years when speed is not sufficient anymore and there's no option for an upgrade ... however having an upgradable 2-slot one aint the better option as it comes with a significant lack of speed :(
    Is the mainboard opf both basicaly the same (beside the slots) or are there drawbacks that might hamper a future uprade?

Guess I will go for the 6 core now and sell it in 2 years time ...however that tought might change instantly ;)