Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idaho Redneck

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
I am looking for a very simple application (or even an add-on to firefox) that copies an image of text to the mac's clipboard. For example, I would like to copy the number found at http://spu.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs...onServlet?isbnNumber=Hwm0HeumiilJkr7Ogr+78A== and paste it into my browser's address bar.

The closest thing I found was FIRe-text (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11747), but I can't seem to figure out how it works and it doens't even seem like quite what I'm looking for anyways. Any suggestions?

modernmagic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
I use ReadIris. It works OK when I need to convert and edit PDF's to Word. I would suggest you download the demo and try and convert a few documents to see if you like it. I'm using version 9 for the Mac, they now have version 11 out.

It's not perfect, docs with lots of columns and complex formatting that you might see on newsletters can get a bit scrambled but overall, I'm happy with it.

Try and download the 30 day demo from http://www.irislink.com. After I did that they sent me an e-mail offering the full version for half price. This was about a year ago and I'm not sure if they still do that or not but it's worth a shot.

Also, there is one nagging limitation to the software that may or may not be present in the latest version: The software limits the size of the document you are copying to 50 pages. I had to download a program that chops a PDF into a smaller number of pages to copy large documents, then convert the smaller ones and put the completed doc back together in Word. Bogus.

I second that. I just used Readiris for the first time to convert a emailed scan of a brochure. It worked in seconds and without any errors.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I bought a ScanSnap S1500M and have been using it with the bundled Acrobat Pro 8. Today I received the free copy of ReadIris Pro 12 I got for buying the scanner. Does it add much worthwhile to what I already have with the ScanSnap manager and Acrobat Pro?

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
What are are asking for is simply not possible on a production basis. You need to scan to a raster format, and then OCR the resulting images. At this point, the resulting editable documents need to be proofed because even the best OCR has a non-trivial error rate. For banking documents, the error rate is unacceptably large.

You are going to need a document editor--Word, InDesign, something--to correct the OCR mistakes. Only after the errors have been corrected can you print to PDF.

Actually, you don't. (yes, I know this is an older thread/post, but this is worth correcting).

I use DevonThink Pro Office to scan my documents and convert them *in one step* to keyword-searchable PDFs that maintain the original document's formatting.

You're right in that OCR has a non-trivial error rate - but DevonThink uses a fuzzy search algorithm to match your search strings against your PDF library. For instance, I can type "Visa budget rental 2009" and DevonThink will pull up all my Visa bills from 2009 that have a budget rent-a-car line item on them. It's pretty uncanny. If the OCR converted "rental" to "renta!", DevonThink still manages to find it.

The downside? The Pro Office version is fairly expensive. But if you're serious about scanning, organizing and searching your documents, you can't beat it.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I don't want OCR software as much as I would like functionality within preview. I would also like the ability to reduce file size in one shot too.

This is what I do on my work PC when I scan from our network scanner/printer, etc to my computer. I open in Adobe Acrobat. Put OCR on and then reduce file size and save the shrunken file.

On my mac at home I don't have adobe acrobat. I have neatreceipts so for some documents I'll scan and it does OCR on it. I've been getting more and more annoyed with neatreceipts though and now just want to scan and keep track of documents myself.

kakamobson

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
I think this app is particularly useful, powerful, easy to operate. especially many languages are supported.
i must Strongly suggest you try it!

the app link:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocr/id424608147?mt=12

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocr/id424608147?mt=12

mzl.pyephzmd.800x500-75.jpg
mzl.trqzqhnq.800x500-75.jpg

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Readiris is on sale today (April 1st, 2011) at MacZot for $59:
http://www.maczot.com/index.php?mod=main&pid=1980

Personally, I prefer DevonThink Pro Office for OCR chores. The engine is speedy, the results are great, and it comes with great scripts. A couple of ways to use it...
:::::::: Drop whatever you want OCR'd into a regular non-DTPO directory, with DTPO's Import, OCR & Delete script attached as a Folder Action. DTPO automagically does its thing, pulls the OCR'd file into DTPO, then deletes the original
:::::::: When I first got the app, I dragged and dropped upwards of 6000 PDFs into DTPO. The app has a "kind" column, which helpfully distinguishes between nonsearchable "PDF" vs "PDF + Text". I batch selected all "PDF" files within DTPO, hit the menu command to "Convert", opened the conversion window so I could track progress, and walked away for the night. Perfection!
While I initially loved all facets of that app, I ultimately grew to despise DTPO's packaged files scheme - a couple of DBs refused to open, and it took tech support 5 days to respond to my email. I then switched over to having DTPO "index" the files, but that proved to be more trouble than it was worth. After trying all dump-your-data-here apps, I chose EagleFiler. Now, I just drag & drop the finished DTPO-converted files over to EagleFiler, where a standard folder structure lives in DropBox -- so the files are (1) accessible regardless of device (Droid X, MacBook Air, Win, whatever) and (2) courtesy of a fool-proof hands-off constant syncing scheme. Fortunately, although I now refuse to permit DTPO to hold files indefinitely, its OCR is so fantastic that it remains a worthy purchase.

Abbyy confirmed (via a direct email question) they know nadda about AppleScript; the Readiris website says nothing re scripting; and, PDFPen is comparatively slow. I also tried OCRKit, which advertises itself as friendly to AppleScript. Wrote to them a month ago asking for details- they promised to upload some scripts for folder actions "soon." But no manual etc.

FYI: At http://MacAppDeals.com there's an "OnGoing" link at the top of the page. Click it, then scroll on the resulting page for the DevonThink blurb, which has a 25% off link re any DevonThink product. The discount is applied solely via that specific link.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Thread resurrection part 2. :)

Well, most scanners come with Omnipage SE - which will stop working come Lion (PPC only app). Omnipage (now @ nuance.com) only comes in a $500 pro flavor for Mac. A little over the budget :)

But this thread is here - I'll check out some of the apps suggested here.

thanks

joshh20

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Please forgive the shameless plug, but I too looked in vain for low-cost (or even usable) Mac OCR software, and when I couldn't find it started a project to bring OCRopus to the Mac.

VelOCRaptor has a very simple drag and drop GUI to read images and write PDF files with the image and its text. It's free until it's good enough to sell!

Please drop by www.VelOCRaptor.com, try it out, and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Duncan McGregor

Cool, I like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.