Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peletrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Pro, the new version, to use with Logic, Aperture, Painter, CS1, and, in the future, FCP2.

I've been reading the threads about "performance" issues, why it's not good to buy now, particularly if a new motherboard that will greatly enhance performance is already in the works.

So, not being a tech head, I have to ask: is it better to wait for the fall? I don't mind buying now and waiting for OS 10.5, but if they're going to redesign the motherboard soon, Apple is already selling an antiquated lemon??

nickel

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
About getting Oct-core and the software you use. It really is -not- worth eight cores. You'll never find use for all eight at the same time with that software and you'd handle an extra expense that'll be better spent on more ram and a better video card.

Those "performance" issues are really there because most software isn't made to utilize that many cores. The only types of applications I can think of that'd use that many cores at this time is 3D rendering, Network server applications and scientific programs.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
There will always be something in the near future that will "greatly enhance performance" in the computer world. It will always be worth waiting for. Therefore the best option is to wait forever until Apple announces that they are done updating their hardware lines eternally, at which time prices will drop way down and all the losers who bought machines back in '07 will be kicking themselves... hard.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.