Octo mac Pro: crippled??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peletrane, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. peletrane macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #1
    I'm thinking of buying a Mac Pro, the new version, to use with Logic, Aperture, Painter, CS1, and, in the future, FCP2.

    I've been reading the threads about "performance" issues, why it's not good to buy now, particularly if a new motherboard that will greatly enhance performance is already in the works.

    So, not being a tech head, I have to ask: is it better to wait for the fall? I don't mind buying now and waiting for OS 10.5, but if they're going to redesign the motherboard soon, Apple is already selling an antiquated lemon??
     
  2. nickel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    #2
    About getting Oct-core and the software you use. It really is -not- worth eight cores. You'll never find use for all eight at the same time with that software and you'd handle an extra expense that'll be better spent on more ram and a better video card.

    Those "performance" issues are really there because most software isn't made to utilize that many cores. The only types of applications I can think of that'd use that many cores at this time is 3D rendering, Network server applications and scientific programs.
     
  3. topgunn macrumors 65816

    topgunn

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2004
    Location:
    Houston
    #3
    Never sure is a long time.
     
  4. someguy macrumors 68020

    someguy

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Location:
    Still here.
    #4
    There will always be something in the near future that will "greatly enhance performance" in the computer world. It will always be worth waiting for. Therefore the best option is to wait forever until Apple announces that they are done updating their hardware lines eternally, at which time prices will drop way down and all the losers who bought machines back in '07 will be kicking themselves... hard.

    :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page