October 14th - fact or fake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RavenWinds, Sep 25, 2008.

1. RavenWinds macrumors member

i know, i know everyone is sick of these threads. so am i.

im in week 1 of uni (filming course) and already i have a seminar to present (week 3), essay to write (week 2-3) and filming work to do (from week 2 on) and oct. 14th falls in week 4 of my course.

i typed out a long and detailed first post and when i went to hit submit i was asked to log in again so i lost everything :mad:

so this is going to be short and simple:

1. rumors about nvidia 8600 cards failing in current macbook pros. Confirmed as fakes according to tallest skil (sp)

2. is there actually any evidence what so ever that an event will be held and macbook pros will be upgraded.

3. spec wise the current macbook pros are double the spec of my iMac at home (i cant bring it to uni, before i get suggestions) and my imac can run any program that i need in its sleep.

so powerwise theres no problem. although ive heard frequently about over heating problems (not to mention the rumors of the failing nvidia cards) when high end rendering is being performed.

can anyone confirm this for me.

and finally, has anyone had ANY problems with current macbooks/macbook pros.

this is not a rumor monger thread. im sick of them. im sick of this whole update scare. i just want honest answers and im not going to regret blowing the guts of £1.5-2000 if it will do everything amazingly well.

thanks in advance

(sorry if i sound snappy, but i got no sleep last night. drunken students everywhere at 2-5 in the morning knocking and smeering tomato ketchup all over my windows :(

also what is all this talk about a brick? :confused:

2. megamouse macrumors member

1. New Apple Laptops will come out in the 2nd half of October.

2. A low end model of ACD will also come out with LED screen and a built-in magsafe charge for your laptop. And yes, it does look like the new iMac.

3. I just bought my MBP, If you need it, then buy it, or use uni's computer for the time being.

You can choose NOT to believe, but you are welcome to check back to this post in a month's time. :rolleyes:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hang on now, I never said that they weren't broken.

nVidia set aside 200 million dollars for this problem. Doing that, they're either paranoid and right or idiots and wrong. Still, I don't believe that ALL of them are broken, but some of them could very well be.

About the 14th... We. Know. Nothing. There is no proof.

Megamouse knows nothing. We don't know that they'll come out, we certainly have heard nothing about the Cinema Displays, and you should probably buy now and be happy if you NEED it now.

4. megamouse macrumors member

Will see ;)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

....and yet, you start another one! :rolleyes: If you search the forums, you'll find a ridiculous number of threads with hundreds of posts, opinions, etc.

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Oye Tallest is the level headed one. Neither fact or fake, all speculation. :]

7. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

thanks for everyone who replied so quickly

megamouse: thanks for all the info

Tallest Skil: i never ment to misquote you, purely a mistake on my part. thats the first ive heard on the 200 million set aside. :eek: doesnt fill me with much confidence.

ggjstudios: easy, easy. im going to blow more money than ive ever spent and i want to get all the facts. i know that there and an unbelievable amount of threads and posts but a lot of the discussion contradicts (people argueing mainly)

Minimoose 360: lolz true

ok thanks consider this tread closed as far as im concerned. sorry if i pissed off too many people with ANOTHER oct 14th thread.

im going to wait for the new macbook pros :eek:

once again thanks for everyones help.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because, as all the other threads show, there are only opinions and speculations. No one can confirm anything about unreleased models until they're actually released. Hence, contradictory posts and arguments. You won't get any different results asking the same questions in another post.

9. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Nothing is confirmed, and many of the rumours appear to be fabricated.

fact or fake? We don't know, anyone acting like they do, doesn't, and are guessing/placing bets.

Even if they are right, they don't actually KNOW. Put simply, we know no more than you do.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Bookmarked. ;)

11. megamouse macrumors member

Yup, I can't wait to prove myself wrong either :rolleyes:

ah wait, you should bookmark the other guy's comment as well, otherwise it's not worth playing.

They say, revenge is a dish best served cold...

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Are you for real? lol :p

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Same here. Heck, I still have one of those "Y wont the Iphone work on Verizon?!:mad: I'm going to try it!" threads from a month ago bookmarked. After my last post, he never responded. He's also not posted anything anywhere since. :p

14. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

:(
    yeah :eek: now that i actually re-read that i sound like an idiot.

lets just ignoe that comment of mine. i feel better that way.

what i was trying to say was if there was any consistant problems .eg. gpu's failing.

nevermind. it REALLY was a stupid question :(

15. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

16. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

It's all speculation. If you spend enough time here, you get a feel for when the momentum is likely leading to a real product release. As others have said, if you need it now, buy it. You can always be first to buy some other model in the future.

If you want facts, I recommend this site: Apple.com :)

17. foodle macrumors 6502

It seems pretty clear that you need a computer right now. The computers for sale right now fit your needs. Persumably you have enough money for a new computer. The choice seems pretty clear.

Bear in mind that even if new whiz-bang Macbooks and Macbook Pros are announced Oct. 14, there may be a delay in you actually getting one. So week 4 may suddenly become week 5, 6, or 7. Can you really wait that long? If yes, then by all means wait. But if not, then you probably need to act now.

18. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

would be cool if someone who knows a friend who knows a friend that works for apple or apple store and knows about the macbook pro's to give us a little confirmation on the date. ;) Lawlz :D

19. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

but you posted it anyway?

let me get my crystal ball out and i'll get back to ya. :rolleyes:

20. TechEnthu macrumors newbie

I'm wit u megamouse. I say, 14-17.

And LittleBigPlanet comes Oct 21! :eek:

P.S.: 1st post here!

21. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I really hope the 14th is true. My MacBook Pro is playing up (the screen flickers and goes all wonky, so I have to press the screen to solve the problem - most likely loose DVI connection), my battery life is crap (I've had it a year and a half, so not too bad for the over all battery life) and I have bad heat problems, along with my fans coming on full blast when I'm not doing anything.

I'm convinced that there is dust or something blocking up the fans, because when they are on 6000rpm, I can't feel any air flow coming out the exhaust, where as my mate's MacBook you can really feel the hot air being directed out.

Come the 14th, if new MacBook Pro's are released, hopefully I'll be able to get an old mate to pull a few strings and take my MacBook Pro in as faulty and give me the new one as a replacement. I'd happily pay an excess fee of £200 for it.

22. megamouse macrumors member

Cheers, well, people who knows nothing will automatically assume rest of the world are like them.

Once again, the Fact speaks :cool: , but I guess it wouldn't be SO much fun without "Tallest Skil" and its lot on the forum, just for the sake of the RUMORs

Will keep asking my mate in the sweatshop for more info regarding the ACD, maybe a karaoke night will be more effective :D

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I love how I'm always the one referenced as the leader of the pessimists.

Not that I probably am, it's just you're missing my point. I'm not here to be all downtrodden on people because I truly don't think that Apple will do these things. I spread caution and pessimism because if you expect something to be included and it isn't, you become unjustly angry at Apple for not giving you what you "deserve" and then you come on the forums and make idiotic rant threads. If people don't expect things to be outlandishly stupidly good, they won't be disappointed when they inevitably aren't.

24. megamouse macrumors member

Oh dear, you demonstrate yet more self righteousness based on petty imagination.

There are two mistakes you have made, which I will kindly point out for you:

1. You don't know most people on the forum, and you assume they are all just like you, being clueless and hysterical towards Apple.

2. You failed to admit the first mistake and repeated it again in your reply.

Normal people won't be moaning at Apple for their failed expectation just like YOU would do, "Tallest Skil" (whatever you really are, but who gives a damn).

I bought a Penryn a month ago and just sold it for pretty much the same 2 days ago, nicely positioned for the new release. Therefore I have no reason to bash at Apple, whatever happens.

But maybe YOU do? From the way you portraited it, you must know well what the idiotic feeling is like :rolleyes:

You either mistake me for someone you barked at earlier (no surprise), or simply assume others just like you.

btw, leader of the pessimists? Don't let your illusion running too wild. ;)

25. nickcliborne macrumors regular