October Event? New Mac Pros?

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
So the new imac refresh is apparently, according to rumors, will be soon.
Sort of obvious now that Apple might have an event in October.

Any change there'll be a at least a minor refresh of the Mac Pro? Possibly a spec bump or if not, lowering the price?

Just wondered.

Thanks

hugodrax

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Is there a newer generation chip to stick in em? The next new one will be using the Sandy Bridge chip with AVX (I will upgrade my 06 box then)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
So the new imac refresh is apparently, according to rumors, will be soon.
Sort of obvious now that Apple might have an event in October.

Any change there'll be a at least a minor refresh of the Mac Pro? Possibly a spec bump or if not, lowering the price?

Just wondered.

Thanks
It would be highly unlikely. Apple doesn't have a lot of history as of late to making mid run changes to their models in the MP lineup. Perhaps if a new graphic card came out, then they could offer that.

But don't expect any new CPU clocks, and certainly no price decreases.

The next update will be a new line using the 56xx parts (Gulftown).

Next update will be a spec bump.
If you mean they would offer 5590's, don't bet on it. Not much else they could offer either. Perhaps an HDD size increase. An SSD option doesn't seem to be in the works, and there's no other graphics cards to offer (that Apple is directly involved in).

Sad, but realistic. :(

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
It would be highly unlikely. Apple doesn't have a lot of history as of late to making mid run changes to their models in the MP lineup.
Apple also rarely updates multiple product lines at once. If the iMac is getting an update in October as is rumoured, then at best the Mac Pro won't be until November.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Apple also rarely updates multiple product lines at once. If the iMac is getting an update in October as is rumoured, then at best the Mac Pro won't be until November.
I don't even think of MP's in those terms, as they seem to be content with only changing the systems when new CPU's release.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
News?
I just took a quick look at the US Apple store and can't see a processor update in the octad Pro, which would have been a 5590. The only updates is a 3.33GHz Quad (which is no 5590) and 2TB drives.

Anyway, yes they made a slight update, but my calendar says December. ;)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
This is shear desparation. The Quad must have been taking it in the teeth for Apple to put in an unscheduled speed bump three month ahead of Gulftown.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Missed the news I see....
No, we didn't.

They only offer a 3.33GHz part on the Quad (W3580). NOT the Octad, as it's still stuck to 2.93GHz (X5570) as the top end part. So the W5590 = NO.

There's a notable difference in the SP and DP parts for the same clock speeds in terms of cost, and then you add a second at full price. That means a DP system using W3590's would add $2201 (derived from publicized quantity pricing), and that's before adding the margin (~36%, so another ~$792USD). So just under $3k just for a parts swap under Apple's margins. Given the base is $3299USD, that's more than $6k before a single option (base model).

Intel charges handsomely for the DP parts, and it's passed on with Apple's profit on top.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
No GPU upgrades either.

Knowing Apple, they'll offer the 4890 in January now that the 5870 is out. :rolleyes:

I submitted Mac Pro feedback to Apple, recommending to them that they include the ATI Radeon HD 5870 in the next update, and to offer it as a standalone card in the online store, without the associated Apple tax applied to it.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I submitted Mac Pro feedback to Apple, recommending to them that they include the ATI Radeon HD 5870 in the next update, and to offer it as a standalone card in the online store, without the associated Apple tax applied to it.
Are you crazy?
Mr. Apple still drives is old SL55. Without this extra Tax he will never be able to afford a new SL63... :p

Honestly, that's a demand everyone shares, but I don't see that happen.
RAM, HDD and especially graphic updates have always been unreasonable expensive.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Whatever is being passed around in this thread must be good... I want some... It's got people thinking they can influence Apple and that they are suddenly using dual QPI procs in single socket systems! :p :D :eek: