OCW or Transintl?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ghostchild, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

I know ram is ram to some. But is there any difference other than price? I'm looking to get 16gb of ram for my new 2010 Mac Pro Quad 3.2.

How come on the OCW site the ram for the 2010 is more expensive than the 2009? The Quad uses the 1066 ram too I'm confused about that also...

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As long as RAM meets Apple's specs, RAM is RAM. There is no advantage to, say a Crucial stick vs. a Samsung. Price variance between cos. are often b/c they bought at a different price, RAM being the commodity it is.

I just bought a Kingston 4x2GB kit from Newegg for $254 shipped. It was the best price I could find for Mac specific RAM. If you are OK w/ 2GB sticks you might want to check it out.

3. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Thanks guys.

mac specific meaning ECC enabled?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Meaning labeled specifically for the Mac Pro. There is lots of ECC server grade RAM that isn't necessarily compatible w/ the MP.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

My Transintl ram came in with Micron chips. Apple uses Micron chips regularly. Transintl has some very attractive prices comparatively.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Just received the Transintl 3x 8gb set. In case anyone was wondering, the 8gb sticks had Samsung m393b1k70ch0-ch9 chips on them. They seem to work great so far.

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

Also running 2x8GB from Transintl, runs smooth. Samsung chips also.

8. davidp158 macrumors member

Which Mac do you have? I didn't see 1333MHz 8GB RAM modules for the 2010 MacPro models on the transintl.com web site. I called them, and they confirmed they don't carry 8 GB RAM for the 2010 MacPro.

I need to order RAM for my forthcoming MacPro 6-core. Most of the RAM price charts I see show configurations for 8x1 (8GB), 8x3 (24GB) and 8x4 (32GB), but NOT 8x2 (16GB). I don't know why this is, but it makes me wonder if two 8GB modules will work in the 2010 MacPro 6-core.

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It is sold on their as a set of 3 or more. If you want less, you could call them. Ask for Mike. He will probably work something out for you, but you should get the ram for the 6 core is sets of 3 for the best triple channel performance.

10. sboerup macrumors 6502

Ya, I just called and asked for 2x8GB and they said "$290 each". Done deal and working great, but I caved today and bought the final 8GB (to make 24GB) just so that I'd have identical sticks in triple channel . . . I'm a sucker . . .

11. aquablue macrumors member

So this server Ram, m393b1k70ch0-ch9 by Samsung, is comfirmed to work and has the thermal sensor etc? May I buy this anywhere, or do I need to go through transintl?

12. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Update to my transintl order

I'm thinking I should have ordered from OWC now.:mad: My MP was ordered on a friday and was recieved the next friday. I ordered 2x4GB RAM kit from transintl the next day, a saturday, and they sent me an email saying that they had shipped it a WEEK LATER!:eek::mad: What the heck!! Go figure that they would drag their feet. Murphy's law that I had a bunch of PhotoShop work and the RAM isn't here! I'm pissed off at these guys as they told me that it would ship on tuesday and should have been here no later than saturday.

So any of you that are considering ordering RAM from them you might have to wait longer than you were told. This is my first dealing with transintl, not impressed...

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I personally like transintl better. They are usually cheaper than OWC and never had any problems with my previous generation Mac Pros.

14. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

Got my sticks from transintl. No problems so far. They didn't say how long it would take for me to receive them and it took about a week and a half.

15. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

always bought OWC

was playing with the ZDNet overclocking tool and reading up it seems many who run OWC have issues ! yet transintl people got a lot farther ?

interesting when I dug into it more ;)

oh and those that had the apple memory got the highest scores ?

so might get transintl this time around :)

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I went with Transintl for my 08 Pro. While I haven't many problems, I wish I would have gone with Crucial or OWC.

Namely because they are more established. I would be more worried about Transintl going out of business tomorrow than OWC or Crucial. This would obviously have a bearing on whether or not I can get warranty replacements.

I agree with the general agreement that RAM is RAM. Although, I would rather go with a big name.