OCW Ram questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 23, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

Hi I am gonna buy Ram from OCW for my macbook...

my questions

Does it matter whether I get OCW branded, Samsung or Micron-Branded ram? Any kind of performance differences?
    Thanks for your input :p

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

4. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Go for whatever is cheapest, theres really no point otherwise besides name.

5. aikomhoch macrumors member

FWIW, last week I ordered OWC branded RAM and when I opened the package I saw that it was Crucial RAM chips. I was surprised, since I don't think OWC sells Crucial RAM. Maybe I got somebody's trade ins?

6. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Nope, not a huge difference. Just go for a reliable brand, so incase there are any issues, you won't have a problem replacing it.

7. mashny macrumors regular

I've ordered RAM through OWC several times over the past five or so years, and always ordered the basic OWC RAM. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them. They also ship their RAM exceptionally quickly: I ordered 8GB of RAM for my new Mac Pro about a month ago; I placed the order at 9:00 p.m., and by midnight I had shipping confirmation.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I just ordered 2- 2GB sticks of OWC ram for 2 iMac G5's (1.9 GHZ & 2.0 GHZ iSight units actually use the exact same stick).. Came in quickly, as described, and nicely packaged.. First time I've ordered from them, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again... They were real simple & straightforward to deal with.. I do feel that Crucial's website is much better for identifying what type of Ram you need though- at least it was for me..

One question for everyone who will be installing new Ram: what should the "Memory Control" temperature be at or below? I'm not sure, because I never really took notice of it on the iStat Pro widget before..

9. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have now upgraded 2 Imac's and 1 Macbook with ram I purchased from OWC. The first Imac I purchased Samsung ram and the next one I purchased OWC ram. There was no difference in the ram installed. Both ran the same. So when It came time to install more ram in the Macbook I got OWC ram for that one and they all run great. My Memory Control temp in Istat is 117.

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Crud, mine's at 113 when I wake it up.. Shortly after that (5 minutes)it works it's way up to about 155-160.. The highest I've seen it is 175.. I guess I should start researching this..

11. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I'll throw in my 2 cents for OWC RAM as well. I got the 2 2G for my MacBook. I ordered on a Monday before 6pm EST and I had them on my porch Wednesday afternoon.

It took maybe 5 minutes for me to install it.

My temp now is 115 F.