OCZ Agility 3 - Clean Install Lion on 2010 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Olivier81, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Olivier81 macrumors member

Hi All I've just bought a 120GB Agility 3 and would like to put it in my macbook pro and do a clean install of Lion. Please may someone help guide me as I understand SSDs are somewhat different to HDDs. Thanks

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Placing the SSD in the HDD slot?

With my OCZ SSD I just stuck it in and installed Lion. Mine was the Vertex 3 and it was on the newest firmware 2.15

Just stick it in and install - if there is problems just post it here and we will try to help.

3. mickpearcey macrumors member

As a user there isn't really any difference, the only difference you'll notice is the raw speed.

I would suggest you do a clean install by holding CMD-R on boot and install via Internet Recovery.

Also don't enable TRIM with that drive as their garbage collection is rather superb. - That's my opinion as being a user of a Vertex 3.

4. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

So I could just put the SSD in place of the HDD and boot up whilst pressing CMD-R and I could do a clean reinstall of Lion?

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Yes - that will launch Lion Recovery - then you can download Lion.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That's exactly how I did it not one week ago.

7. mickpearcey macrumors member

8. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

cheers everyone I'll do that. Been reading quite abit about enabling trim - I take it it's not required with the Agility?

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Let us know how it goes - there is not native TRIM support for non-apple SSD - You can still enable TRIM - so people suggest - others dont - Go without it and see if you have any problems then go from there.

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

SandForce's background garbage collection is sufficient without the need for TRIM.

11. Olivier81 thread starter macrumors member

I have just tried to install the SSD but I cannot loosen the screws on the hard drive bracket? I am using a cheap $1 screwdriver from ebay and I was scared to damage the screws - they havent moved in the slightest and are getting a bit damaged :/ any advice upon what I should do?

12. elliottfamily5, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

elliottfamily5 macrumors member

$200 or so for the SSD, $2000 or so for the MBP - not sure I would use "cheap" tools from eBay to poke around under the hood. This is easy to do if you take your time and use the correct size tools.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TOOLKIT11/ is one thought. Your local hardware/computer repair shop probably has similar individual tools that would fit your need.

It sounds like you might have begun to strip the screw heads...all the more reason for correct sized, quality tools. Not sure how bad the heads are, but if you can still get the driver to "seat" in the screw head, slow steady pressure should work.

Good luck.

13. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You need Torx screwdriver size 6 - I use these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ST3K3W/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

While others have pointed you to various internet sites for tools, all of which are good, there's always the option of picking up something decent at your local Sears or Lowes if you're looking for instant gratification. I picked up a very nice cased set at Lowes a while back for something like $20

The Agility is a solid SSD. While not as fast as the Vertex in benchmarks, the reality is that most users will never notice the difference and the cost savings are pretty substantial. Don't hold your breath getting the rebate back in a timely fashion though, they're all about the 8-10 weeks they claim.

15. jefvdv macrumors newbie

How are you gonna boot into Lion Recovery if you've just removed the HD on which this is installed?

You will need to do a fresh install from DVD or USB drive.