Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Bought this on NewEgg, was about $280 with tax and overnight shipping, but it came with a $30 Mail in Rebate. A few things first about NewEgg:

-Place your order before noon or it won't ship out until the next day
-They ship these drives from New Jersey, which shocked the hell out of me given that New Egg is a California company. Maybe that's where OCZ is located? It's a good thing I went for the overnight shipping!
-They ship it in a full size computer parts-type box (big enough for a CD rom drive or a power supply)... Seriously guys, the thing is like smaller then a pack of cigarettes and you need to ship it in a giant box?

Anyway, onto installation in my 2011 15" 2.0Ghz i7 MBP, I removed the 5400 RPM factory drive and installed it in the hard drive bay (will eventually install the old 5400 in the optical bay)...

-I didn't know that I needed a Mac formatted hard drive to use Time Machine. Because all my drives were FAT or NTFS to retain compatibility with my PC at work, I ended up having to run down to Fry's and buy an external drive dedicated to time machine. I went with a Iomega 500 gig Firewire 800 drive, and it backed my entire system up in 1.5 hours, and restored in about 45 minutes.
-Install of the SSD is easy... Lots of videos on Youtube already showing it
-Only thing I deviated from the plan, I removed the tab from the old hard drive and stuck it on the SSD so it would be easy to pull out if I ever want to swap the drive out again

-Fresh Reinstalled OSX
-Restored from Time Machine backup (could not restore iphoto library too big to fit on my 128 gig SSD LOL)

All around awesome... Computer boots up in 25 seconds... I can open like 30 programs at once and they open almost instantly... Itunes only takes 4 seconds to convert a track from MP3 to AAC or AAC to MP3.. Haven't tried too much other stuff yet.

-Geekbench score... WOAH NELLY. 8875
-Xbench Disk test 352.89:
-AJA System Test:
-128 MB: 392/375 (Read/Write)
-2GB: 388/372 (Read/Write)

Not sure how these numbers stack up to others who have installed a SATA III 6gbps drive in their 2011 Macbook Pro.. Would love to see your numbers. :)

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Sounds nice!

If you want your time machine drive to maintain compatibility with non Macs you can get third party drivers like Mac Drive.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I got 459.17 on the last xbench I ran. Highest I'd ever seen was 463 but it's usually around 450-455

I have a crucial m4 256gb running on the latest firmware

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Sounds nice!

If you want your time machine drive to maintain compatibility with non Macs you can get third party drivers like Mac Drive.

Well fortunately with the purchase of this Macbook Pro and the SSD I hope to eliminate ever using a PC again... Although if my company ever changes their policy about using personal computers for work purposes I might be stuck using the PC again... :(

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I got 459.17 on the last xbench I ran. Highest I'd ever seen was 463 but it's usually around 450-455

I have a crucial m4 256gb running on the latest firmware

Wow, that's pretty substantial from the numbers I got.. :( I wonder if it's because my drive is pretty full, do you have a lot of stuff on your drive? Maybe I need to do some tweaking? Which Macbook Pro do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.