OCZ Agility 3 w/2011 MBP i7 - 3 Beeps. HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hifirobbie, Nov 24, 2011.

1. hifirobbie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have tried searching everywhere for more info on this but I just can't work out what's going wrong.

I am trying to install an Agility 3 to a 2011 MBP 13" running Lion, which I hate.

1st attempt: Remove HDD and replace with SSD.
    Result: Turn on machine holding down Option/Alt key and insert Snow Leopard CD. Select SL CD when prompted. CD starts to boot only to get the 3 beeps and no further activity, indicating memory error. Memory hasn't been touched. Replaced original HDD and all was fine again.

2nd attempt: Fit SSD in to Optibay with original HDD in original bay in machine.
    Result: Machine boots fine from original HDD. SSD is detected in OSX, initialized and partitioned. I am able to transfer files onto and off of the SSD. Attempted to install OSX Snow Leopard (The OS I wish to run) to the SSD with original CD in external Optical bay but Lion tells me I can't run a Snow Leopard install within Lion environment.

3rd Attempt: Fit SSD back in to HDD bay and original HDD in to Optibay. Turn on machine with Option/Alt held down again hoping that the partitioned drive will be recognised. Am able to select the Mac OSX CD in an external CDROM but not far in to loading of eh CD, again I am faced with the 3 beeps.

I cannot get this thing to work for love nor money. Any other threads I find with this problem are inconclusive. Surely I'm no the only one who's had this problem and wanted to find a solution.

Have I missed something really simple here? I am running out of ideas, and patience, as I have seen positive reports of others doing this in the past.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

2. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Just for kicks, try attaching the drive via USB or FireWire outside of the working Mac and format it or try to see if it works that way. Format it if you can. If it does format, then replace the existing hard drive with the formatted SSD and see how far you get.

3. hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice.

Internally, externally... ...metaphysically?

3 Beeps no matter how it's connected.

Could it be a dud drive? I wouldn't think so as it can be read and written to as an extra.

It's just when I want to do something useful with it that it all falls apart...

With 500GB on board already I DON'T need to spend $100 for another 60GB and no optical.

Would be grateful for some more ideas.

4. sfoalex macrumors 6502

If it won't even work external, I'd say you have a dud. Return it.

5. hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

6. hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sooooo.... ....I'm guessing no more ideas?

Would anyone have any other suggestions on where I may find a little more info on these sorts of issues? Forums etc.?

7. tekkietekkie macrumors member

weird, I put mine in no issues at all, do you have another machine an old PC or something you can put it in to try installing windows / linux or something on it?

maybe try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM who knows it may solve it http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The only other idea I have is that the Snow Leopard DVD doesn't have the correct drivers for the 2011 MBP and subsequently can't boot the hardware. I know that the highest retail build of SL was 10.6.3 and IIRC the build that came with the 2011's was special for them and either 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 with a patch to 10.6.8.

Further is that TechTool 6 can't boot one either and Disc Warrior needed a patch for theirs also.

That said, I haven't tried it personally so I could be just plain full of it too :)

I'd Option +R it to see if I could at lease get Lion on it then chase it from there... rules out a bad drive if it works.

9. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I'm a fan of trying to get the drive to first work in an external case. Test formatting it just to make sure the device even works in the first place.

10. hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. I'll try these things out and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help!

11. hifirobbie, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Potential breakthrough here...

I just tried to run the install disc on the existing HDD and go the same 3 beep error code.

Don't know why didn't try this earlier.

I'll get my hands on a home made Lion install disc and see what happens.

I'm now cautiously optimistic.

Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

12. jeffreymabq macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes - 3 beeps is an unsupported operating system. Best bet is find a SL machine to install and upgrade to 10.6.8, then put in your MBP.

It can be done without lion, as thats what i did on mine. google around.

13. hifirobbie, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Done, with Lion. I suppose I'll get used to it.

On the Apple support page it says 3 beeps means "No good banks". Why it did this for an OS/hardware issue stumps me!

Thanks again for all your help and ideas folks. Works a treat.

Rob.

14. TXCiclista macrumors newbie

I know this is a necro, but your problem is RAM. "No good banks" is a sign that you have a bad stick (or it's not seated well).

Again, apologies for necroing, but this is page on Google when searching for "Agility 3" and "Mac"

15. hifirobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem wasn't ram at all.

As I said in the last post, it runs perfectly on Lion, but it didn't like Snow Leopard.