OCZ Octane - Anyone over provisioned it or using Trim Enabler?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Apr 28, 2012.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi there,

Replacing my 120GB Vertex 2E with a 256GB Octane SATA II which I should be getting Monday. As the Octane doesn't have any over provisioning set unlike the Vertex 2E, do people set it themselves?

On the reviews I've read it they say it's not too much of a problem on Windows 7 using Trim, but as Apple only have it enabled in their own drives would a lack of over provisioning cause an issue with long term performance on OS X?

I take it to manually set all I would need to do is when setting up the partition in Disk Utility, allocate it as say 240GB and leave the remainder unallocated?

Also has anyone with an Octane used Trim Enabler 2.0? I have heard it can cause problems on Sandforce controllers but haven't been able to find anything out in regards to the Octane which uses the Indilinx Everest controller.

Cheers,

Ian.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

3. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Lol, I'm getting mine from Scan. I didn't go for a SATA III SSD as my MBP has a SATA II controller. Also the one you mentioned is £257 where as the Octane is £183 so quite a bit cheaper.

Cheers for the link.

4. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Octane SSD Update

Have been using the Octane for almost a month now, so thought I'd post an update on how it's been so far incase anyone else if thinking of buying one.

Didn't over provision it, as the Tomshardware link theSeb posted said that you need to over provision by 50% to get any useful effect, which sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading from a 120GB to a 256GB.

TrimEnabler: Installed it and have had no issues with it running, haven't encountered a spinning beach ball problem that it can cause with some SSDs, so would say atm that it's a good idea with this drive.

Will update again if I have any issues.