OCZ RAM any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Jul 24, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have a Santa Rosa MBP and am thinking of getting this RAM:

OCZ 4GB PC2-5400 667MHz DDR2 Value SoDIMM Kit (OCZ2MV6674GK)

Can anyone comment on its quality and compatibility with MBPs? On amazon, it's described as a "value soDIMM kit". Does this mean it's "value RAM" (i.e. inferior to regular RAM)? Should I just go with designated "Apple RAM" from Kingston/Mushkin/Crucial, or is this just as good?

Thanks for any help!

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Apple charges $200 for a 4GB RAM upgrade, which is more than double the price you would pay with other reputable RAM providers.

A great source for Mac-compatible RAM is OWC. Their MacBook and MacBook Pro 4GB upgrade kit is $99 (£50).

Another source is Crucial memory from newegg.com.

Installation for a Macbook or a MacBook Pro is easy and does not void the Apple Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan, unless you damage something in the process.

In the future, it's recommended to search the forums and/or look at the MacRumors Guides before posting a new repetitive thread.

5. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, but I have read those guides (most with generic info, much like your reply) and searched this forum. I'm asking specifically about the OCZ model of RAM I posted. I don't think it's a repetitive thread; as far as I can tell, there has only been one other thread about this RAM and there was only one reply (also, it doesn't ask or answer most of the questions I posed).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are numerous threads with many references to your questions:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371602

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

RAM is RAM...but I dont like OCZ RAM at all. In all my computers I have Crucial RAM (in my Macs), Corsair in my PC, and OWC in an old MacMini. The best brands are Crucial and OWC. Buy from them.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The OCZ module is a generic DDR2-667 SODIMM. OCZ's configurator does not list any of their DDR2-667 RAM that they say is compatible with Macs, so while this module may work fine, the manufacturer doesn't commit to compatibility.

In general, there is nothing special about the Mac's 667 MHz RAM other than the Serial Presence Detect values have to be correctly written. If they aren't then it may not be recognized by the Mac.

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

OCZ is one of the top RAM manufacturers out there. It will be just as good as the Crucial or Corsair or any other brand since all you're looking at is standard spec'd RAM and won't be overclocking. They all carry a lifetime warranty and OCZ has some of the best technical support and RMA support out there.

10. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Why don't you like them?

Thanks, CanadaRAM! Just the info I was looking for.

First of all, I am not required to justify my posts to you or anyone else. However, since you insist those searched threads answer all my questions, I have to say, no they do not. Specifically, is this OCZ "value" RAM in the traditional sense (i.e. in the sense of Kingston's ValueSELECT that cannot be overclocked, etc.)? Or does it simply refer to the fact that it's packaged in a 2 in 1 kit at a lower price? Also, as previously alluded to, I have only found one dedicated thread to compatibility with SR MBPs (and with only one response). The last thread you linked to discusses the core duo MBP, which is NOT my model. It won't even accept the 2 GB sticks of RAM that I posted! Please double-check your facts before trying to call other posters out...

In any case, if you don't like my thread, you have the option to ignore it. Otherwise, I have the option to ignore you.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one is asking you to justify your post. I simply offered some resources to help you find the answers you asked. There are many who ask RAM questions in these forums who appreciate the information I posted. If you don't want help or suggestions and prefer to criticize those who offer help, don't ask the questions!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have used OCZ RAM on all my desktops for past 10 years. All without a single issue. Recently I got this RAM for my laptops and boy I'm happy. I have tried Corsair, Crucial all of which haven't have many issues (almost no issues).

And speaking from experience that RAM is great.

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

OCZ RAM is top-quality, like Kingston and Corsair. Better than OWC or Crucial.

14. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, alphaod and Firefly2002. Since the general consensus was that this seemed like a good choice, I went out and bought it. It's now installed...and so far, so good! Thanks for all the help!

Please re-read my questions and then your response. I was NOT taking issue with the resources you posted as such (even though most were tangentially related to my questions at best, and suggests that maybe you hadn't read my post as carefully as you should have before criticizing it). Instead, I was replying to your accusation that I was posting a "repetitive thread", presumably an alleged repeat of the info you posted, which it was not. I hope you can understand the difference...sorry if you don't. Let's leave it at that.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had bothered to actually look at the links I gave you, several applied directly to your question of quality and compatibility on both 2GB and 4GB quantities of the exact OCZ PC2-5400 667MHz DDR2 SoDIMM RAM you mentioned, including this and this. In addition, there are recommendations in the Guide for which brands of RAM to buy, including Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial and others. I gave you useful information. If you choose not to use it or if you want someone to do your reading for you and spoon-feed you information from the links provided, I'm sorry to disappoint!

"In the future, it's recommended to..." is hardly criticism, but a recommendation (hence the word "recommended"), but if you choose to misinterpret my intent, I can't help you.

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

How do I go about pointing out the problems with this post?
    Anyone have any ideas? :D

17. johnkountz Guest

johnkountz

Two Thumbs Up for OCZ

Bought 4GB memory upgrade for my MBP-SR the day I bought it, over a year ago. Absolutely no problems & I saved a pile of dough!

:D

18. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Why is OCZ, Kingston, and Corsair better ram than OWC and Crucial?

I have OWC in my iMac and Crucial in my MBP and have had no problems with either.

19. powz thread starter macrumors regular

If actually answering my questions and not posting generic guides and links (which I could easily do myself) is considered "spoon-feeding", then please take your "help" elsewhere! Again, not a single thing you posted in your original post answered my questions (tho after my responses you have posted two that do address some); indeed, most of it was completely irrelevant (e.g. "Apple charges $200 for a 4GB RAM upgrade"; "Installation for a Macbook or a MacBook Pro is easy and does not void the Apple Warranty"). All in all, it had almost the same effect as if you had posted a link to www.macrumors.com! On the basis of this, you made what you claimed was a "recommendation":

The word "recommended" does not change the implied criticism in that sentence. To claim otherwise is BS, and you know it (or ought to).

In any case, this is a mute point, since even the same questions can yield different responses from different people. On a public forum, sometimes it's best to get as many responses as possible and sift through to get the best ones (e.g. CanadaRAM's post provided info on the Serial Presence Detect values that I would never have even thought to search for or ask about). So I reject the original premise that one should refrain from posting a "repetitive thread" at all (even assuming this was simply a "repetitive thread", which I do not grant).

BTW, isn't it ironic that your post claims my thread is repetitive while your post is just copy-and-pasted from other threads that have nothing to do with my questions? :rolleyes:

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's considered performance RAM, not to say your Crucial RAM and OWC isn't. It was a just a generalization.

Also I think it was just to say OCZ is as good if not better than other RAM answering the OP's question.

21. mchank macrumors regular

I've had that exact ram in my Macbook Pro for the past 6 months and its been working great. I checked on the OCZ forums before I bought it and they've got a post specifically regarding this ram and the Macbook Pro stating that they are perfectly compatible together.