OCZ Ram dying in MBP twice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kuzbad, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Kuzbad macrumors member

Somewhat weird situation.

I have a 15 inch mbp 3,1 that is getting close to 4 years old. I've upgraded to 4gb of ram and an SSD over the years (after having the logic board replaced twice for the Nvidia defect) and the system is still doing well.

But I've now had one ram stick die twice while I was using the computer. In a graphical game (windowed) the computer froze, half the screen flickering garbage, half the screen frozen image of what was on before the crash. Sound stutters in an infinite loop. I've installed a lot of RAM in a lot of computers and don't think I've EVER had a stick die mid-usage like this. After this crash the laptop will not boot at all, giving the 3 beep/3 flash POST code for dead ram.

I had 2x2gb OCZ sticks running for about 6 months when this happened. Tested both sticks of ram individually in each slot. One stick works in neither slot, the other stick works in either slot. I had also memtest'ed when I first got the ram.

I RMAed the ram, got two new sticks, they worked perfectly, but about 1 month later, I had the exact same crash and symptoms. One stick seemingly just dead all of a sudden, with no prior symptoms!

Any thoughts as to what could be going on? I tend not believe in coincidences...

2. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

1. could be unlucky
    2. Intermittent fault on one of the ground pins of the either the RAM or the RAM socket
    3. a bad voltage regulator (too high voltage causing early defects)?