OCZ Ram in a Penryn MBP ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Mar 18, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Some dude on the comments section of newegg posted that the OCZ DDR800 4GB kit doesnt work in the new Penryn MBPS, but does the Older ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

That is the listing. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I bought this kit and it clearly works fine in my old MBP, but i have the replacement Penryn arriving tomorrow... Any help is appreciated..

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

no reason it shouldnt it works fine on the pre-penryn's and they still use santa rosa so i dont see why it wouldnt

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

WEll I received the new Penryn today and LOW AND BEHOLD the OCZ Ram does NOT work. The system simply will not post with it. Very odd and now I am out $80. Crap

4. MascisMan macrumors member

if you bought it from newegg they may let you swap it out.

5. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

people have had problems with the DDR2-800 Ram simply because the CAS latencies aren't set correctly on the RAM. The MBP has to downclock the RAM to 667 speeds, and I guess it's unable to do it because the latencies aren't set correctly. There have been other threads in this section about the very same problem.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Rule of thumb is to get what other people have tried and worked.

7. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

It has to be something other than that or else the same memory wouldn't work in pre-penryn MBP's. The latencies are set in the SPD to detect at 4-5-5-13 when running at only 667Mhz. It must be something that Apple has screwed up once again. I bought a kit of this memory and it also won't work in my new Penryn MBP. I'm trying to get some support from OCZ on the matter to see if they can figure out why it doesn't work and maybe they might let me swap for the lower speed memory that will.

Look at all the people stating that they're using this memory in their Santa Rosa based MBP's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Page=3

8. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Good luck with that. The best i can get from them is to check their forums...lol

Needless to say I have moved on and bought some kingston

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I know a couple of the guys over at OCZ as I've spoken with them in the past on different issues and I've had good experiences with them. The last time they traded me for a newer more expensive revision of memory since my other kit was giving me problems.

10. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Ok here's an update. The OCZ memory will work if I install only one stick alone with one of the original 1 gig sticks that the MBP shipped with. Together they work fine and the OS detects 3 gigs of memory. I saw a user mention this over on the OCZ forums concerning his MBP and thought that I would give it a try. So maybe it is an issue with the timings on this memory and it not being able to detect both at 4-5-5-13. With the stock 1 gig module installed it probably sets both to 5-5-5-15 since SPD timings and speeds are always detected and set according to the slowest module.

11. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I have another update on this OCZ DDR2-800 memory. You can flash the sticks in Windows using a small tool called SPDTool. One of the guys from OCZ can provide you with the new SPD table to flash it to so that the memory detects at 5-5-5-15. Both sticks work fine for me now.