OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCIe SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ajs15822, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ajs15822 macrumors newbie

So the next revision of OCZ's RevoDrive just came out and it's really, really fast-- here's the specs:

• Read: Up to 740 MB/s
    • Write: Up to 720 MB/s
    • Sustained Write: Up to 600 MB/s
    • Random Write 4KB (Aligned): 120,000 IOPS
    • Capacities from 100GB to 960GB

Let's hope we get some OSX love this time around-- I wanna boot from this thing. :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

With the upcoming release of the new SandForce controller, these values might easily be doubled!

4. Bithero macrumors newbie

OCZ works on an OSX driver for the R2 card since several months, but so far they did not release it. It might not be easy to make them bootable.

5. Ryan P macrumors regular

Do these drives and similar work in OS X as non bootable or not at all? I'm kinda thinking I already have an OWC SSD for OS X and an OWC SSD for WIN 7 that work fine for boot disks.

I'd really like a fast PCIe card SSD card of pretty substantial size that I could use to speed up selected applications in both OS X and Win 7. I'm also out of drive bays, so PCIe would work well for me. exFAT could work as the file system potentially for me as I'm mostly happy with it so far.

So I guess my ideal would be a PCIe 256-512GB exFAT SSD, that I would use from OS X, WIN 7 directly or by using symbolic links to trick programs into using it.

6. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Makes me wanna build a hackintosh just so I can boot OS from a drive like this.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

How many MBA SSD sticks could you RAID in a PCIe slot? :cool:
    THE MB/s, IT'S OVER 9000!*

*(Yes I'm aware that the Maximum is 8000)

8. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

But on a serious note, I'm really getting fired up to build a hackintosh just to use this baby as my boot ssd. :)

9. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

BTW: That OCZ thingy is so sloooow.

Check out this baby: Fusion IO ioDrive Octal

1 Million IOPs, 6.2GB/s sustained read, 6GB/s sustained write, up to 5.1TB capacity.
    Price? I don't wanna know! :D

11. assassin0, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

assassin0 macrumors newbie

News

There is a package on the silicon support site Sil3124r5_2.0.5.0_Sil_Pkg.zip that make your revo drive works under snow leopard (personally tested on 10.6.8) ;)

My problem is how to load the kext of the silicon for a fresh installation before to enter in disk utility and inizialize the revo

NEWS:
    From another installation of SNOW on the same computer but on another disk I mounted the snow leopard dmg i went in this folder /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/ I opened OSXInstall.pkg and installed snow on the revo drive, after that i copied the silicon kext into extension folder and updated the permission from utility disk.
    I rebooted starting from revo but the system starts only with -x command.

Damn i'm so near...i want so much to ride my revo.

NEWS 2:
    Ok i'm done!!! After to boot my system with -x command i reloaded the silicon kext with kext utility and the system booted like a sharm! !!!670 Mb write 690 Mb read!!! A MONSTER

The last think that i would love to be able to do is to make a fresh installation of snow on my revo x2!

12. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

13. jeznav macrumors 6502

I'm assuming your running on a hackintosh as there is no EFI driver to boot off PCIe on Mac Pro and it won't be visible in the boot menu.