OCZ SATA 3 Solid State Drive compatible with MBP 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtabije, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jtabije macrumors newbie

2. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Yes, it will work fine. Theres feedback in the link you posted of an individual running that drive on a 2011 macbook pro (MBP).

Although I wouldnt go with that one, OCZ's are known to fail, close to 3% of them are faulty (where as only a little more than half a percent of intels are as well). If youre going to get an OCZ, at least get a Vertex 3.

Otherwise, for reliability, get an Intel 320 or 510 (the speed difference isnt THAT significant in real world usage anyway).

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive had 5 OCZ SSDs and never had one fail. From Vertex 1, 2s and 3s.

4. p1ngputts macrumors member

5. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

It appears that right now SandForce 2 drives are being affected by the same issues as the Corsair Force 3 drives, which are also running the same SandForce controller.

Although OCZ denies this, they ask users to run tests on their system and report back to the forum. So until the whole thing clears up, I recommend you either buy an Intel drive (because I hear that the speed is barely noticeable) or you just hold out and buy a SandForce 2--- based drive later.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Most MBPs 2011 work fine with Vertex 3. Not all do.

Mine works 99% perfect. Except that the boot time is 5 seconds longer than it should be.

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Firstly, i believe the OP was referring to SATA-3 6GB/s - which kind of rules out the intel 320 - and leaves us with the intel 510: which was definitely marred - with a string of incompatibility issues when negotiating to sata-3 interface. i believe there were reports on MR that the latest EFI seems to have solved the numerous early incompatibility issues the 510 had with the sata-3 port.

Secondly, again the dreaded 'intel reliability' - yes i agree accordingly to a single french SSD study, over an unknown period, for an unknown no. of drives, complete non-standardised IMO would not produce statistically significant results - the reasons being multi- faceted and kind of self-explanatory!

OP: The 320 has superb reports so far and anecdotally from friends of mine - one must bear in mind this is the same 2yr old sata 2 controller from the x25, but with 25nm NAND flash -and as you stated in your intial enquiry - this is not a sata 3 6gb/s drive

8. jtabije thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I was actually looking into the X25-M's with the recent drop in prices, but in all honesty, I just want to get rid of the dreaded HDD noise. It's not loud.. but I never noticed the HDD in my previous 2010 MBP.