OCZ Solid 3 SSD. Is it good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

3. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw, does anyone know any softwares that install on your mac so you know how much storage you're using for each software?
    Such as the remove and install on a windows computer.
    thanks.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    proof please??

Newegg customer rating is informative however, not an objective way to ascertain whether the drive is reliable as i am sure many consumers who have purchased the vertex 3 have not had issues.

As for the Micron/crucial drive - it seems like a solid drive - however there where many reports of sata-3 issues when the drive was first released. Secondly as anand states, lack of trim on osx and the poor garbage control would rule this drive out (for me personally).

-Anand Lal Shilpi

OP - if you want the upmost fastest out there the vertex 3 max iops is u're best bet. If you want reliability and can compromise on speeds - go for a rock solid sata-2 ssd.

Johnny

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

This review, + the anad review on the vertex 3 max iops convinced me that the vertex 3 was the right choice for me.

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Disk Inventory X gives you a breakdown of your hard drive.

I'm pretty sure it's free, if not it's like $10 or something cheap.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

What happened to the Patriot Wildfire? I've personally gone with the Crucial M4. Trim Enabler works like a charm (in 10.6.8 at least) and FW 02 has addressed all the previous issues the drive had with MBPs.

Running it now and i'm quite happy. FW is easy to update, TRIM works with it unlike Sandforce drives and its very speedy.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive owned;
    • OCZ Vertex 120GB
    • 2 x OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (raid0)
    • OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS (current SSD)

All with no issues EVER. No failures, No RMAs, No DOAs, nothing. I love their SSDs.

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

Hey buddy

wildfire is back on its way to dabs.. the drive was a beachball mess! :mad:
    Write/read speeds were so bad, i had the owc ssd in the optibay mocking it

i also have a vertex 3 max-iops ordered - will see tomorrow if the v3 and lion play ball - rather than beachball.. excuse the crappy humour!

Crucial M4 will be my last bet on a sat-3 ssd; heard good things re the f/w v2.

PS. what happened to your vertex 3 matey?

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Returned it. Couldn't stand not having access to the latest firmware updates (no windows PC and Linux method was non-existent at the time). They are at version 2.10 now whilst i'd have still been stuck at version 2.02. Unacceptable.

Started looking elsewhere. Was gonna try the Intel 320 but then they had that firmware bug=dead drive thing :eek: People were also having problems with the 510 series (that and it is pricey). Then i thought of trying another Sandforce drive since Linux support had improved but Corsair had a recall, the regular Vertex 3 can still be a lottery and you had problems with Patriot as it turns out.

Then i read that Crucial had released a new firmware which solved their previous issues and people mostly had positive reviews/experiences and bonus it played well with the TRIM hack (seeing as Lion hasn't come through with TRIM support). Decided to give it a go and here we are. Still smooth sailing two days later.

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

ive just seen a crucial 256gb on for £270

really tempted just to buy this and return the vertex 3... if the vertex 3 plays well in my mbp with lion - might have to get both lol

12. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Question: If I get a SSD, does that mean I have to redownload Lion OSx?
    Will it be free? Or I have to pay?

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Where? Also i'd give the Vertex 3 a shot first. It can be a great drive if you get a good one.

If you don't clone your existing drive yes. Lion can be re-downloaded for free...or you could just make a bootable copy of your existing one.

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

Ebay- but with delivery it comes to £294